Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italeri VN780 car carrier/flatbed B-double

Hi everyone , I only found this forum a couple of days ago and thought I'd post some pics of my long running Volvo build . This all came about as trying to find a way of displaying some of my older mini builds and also as a post separation project to occupy my time/hands . this is my first ever truck build and as such the sheer size of it was a bit daunting and there were quite a few gaps in inspiration and enthusiasm along the way but it's nearly finished now after more than 18 months (unless I decide to turn it into a B-triple ....) .

This started when my local hobby shop was having a 30% off sale so I came back with some more mini's (no surprise there) and the Vovlo ,

truck.jpg

Then I did a swap wiwth someone on another forum for a part built but incomplete car carrier trailer , quick mock up to see how many mini's I could fit on it ,

truck2.jpg

I didn't realise the size and number of body panels compared to a car model , it's taken about 3 times the amount of paint so far that a car would use and the trailer even more

chassis.jpg

redtruck.jpg

Right hand drive dash by an Australian truck model modification company (Auslowe)

tdash.jpg

The prime mover sat in this almost completed state for a few months while I did other things and worked on the trailer .

tprogress2.jpg

The trailer approaching completion , the colour is deeper in person , just the camera flash wiped a lot of the colour

ttrailer.jpg

Wheels from Auslowe too ,

twheels.jpg

and finally a mockup with 8 mini\'s on it , now waiting for more time to finish it , still needed to spray more flat red on the top traier deck then detail the hydraulic rams etc .

tmock.jpg

Prime mover all but finished (was trying to find the decals I had misplaced ...) Just cannot get the passenger side windscreen wiper to sit straight :(

semi1.jpg

semi2.jpg

The trailer now loaded with some of the older mini builds ,

semi7.jpg

semi5.jpg

I was given an incomplete (what is it with people and incomplete kits :D ) Fruehauf trailer kit (the one with the rolls of steel on the trailer) so built as per the directions to this stage before working out where to cut the chassis as I wasn't sure how it would look till the suspension sub units were installed ,

bdoubledone.jpg

Working out where to cut to make it into the front trailer of a B-double combo ,

bfrontcuthere.jpg

The trailer cut before being filed and finished ,

bfrontcut.jpg

rear of trailer mostly finished , rear bumper and lights were put on after this photo ,

bfront-1.jpg

B-double combo together , it's about 1.3 meters long now , going to have to build it's own case as it no longer fits in the cabinet it was in ....

bdouble.jpg

and with a temporary deck (there wasn't a deck with the kit when I got it so it was a good starting point to cut down to the B-double trailer ) on it so it can carry the mini monster truck that's under construction and minuki for a photo . I still need to move the turntable forward a bit to make it sit more realistic .

bdouble2.jpg

Finally found the Mini Experience decals , the Mini Experience is an Australian mini magazine so this build became a mythical Mini Experience roadshow type deal . Watto is the owner/editor of the magazine and there is a long running joke of people getting photo's of Watto from behind and posting them in a "spotted" thread on a mini forum which really ticks him off so I had to get a figure bending over that will be painted as Watto ... I showed him the photo's last week and he loved it , until he saw the figure :D :D :D

bdoublesignage.jpg

Now , should it stay as a B-double or should it be a B-triple ....

Edited by sports850

WHen I saw the first newer style VN such as this one, I thought they were from outer space! Man, these were the most futuristic trucks I've ever seen (not counting the KW T2000 of course...) But I liked right away, it looks great! This looks good in red, nice build Ian!

Thank's James and Shaun , while it was my first truck it won't be the last , the friend who gave me the fruehauf (Thank's for answering my question James :) ) also gave me an Italeri Leyland cabover truck kit so will delve into that before too long . It is much more detailed than the Volvo so will probably take as long :)

Edited by sports850

• 2 weeks later...

Thank's Mike , Barry , Tim , Evan and Gordon ,

Barry , well of course your son will be a nice guy then :D I have close to 1000 different model mini's in various mediums (plastic , kit , diecast , wood , ceramic etc) in my collection , they are kind of a disease ...

Evan , mr Bean's mini is about the only one I haven't wanted to build so far , will have to add it to the list though along with some other movie and TV mini's (Italian Job - orriginal of course , Goodbye Pork Pie , Bourne Identity etc) . Just need more time and another trailer for the rig , B triple does sound tempting :) You need to add another trailer to yours though .

Hey Ian, Great build so far mate I'm building a B-triple at the moment and was going to use Auslowes kits to do it with BUT seeing that U have cut down the standard trailer into the B-Double config has given me an idea for mine so thanks for that now I can go ahead with mine and all I ave to do is get the tri axle wheel set-up.

Dingo B)