Model Cars Magazine Forum

MiniCraft 1/16 Kits...

I have built several, including many of the box art models for Minicraft. Most are older tools but some have new parts and some cleaning up. While they are not really the easiest for beginners to get great results from, seasoned builders willing to put in the effort can make nice models out of them. The working parts often lead to fiddly issues, but if you build them with the doors fixed it can make assembly much easier.

I have the Rat Trap '31 Model A pickup. My only gripe has to do with the wheels/tires- the rear of the tires are molded open, and the inside of the wheels are oversized. Since I plan to build mine as a fenderless hot rod, that's a bit of a letdown. Other than that, looks like a farily good kit, though I've only gotten as far as engine assembly.

The hopped up Flathead in the '31 pickup kits is the best part, but as Chuck mentioned, the rear pie crust slicks are a huge let down, and the Halibrand style wheels aren't all that great either. The front tires look undersized to me, too. The sidewalls are so short they look like a 1/20 scale tire on any other 1/16 scale vehicle. The body in the version I had (molded in yellow) was nicely done with no flash or warpage at all.

Edited by Casey