Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need some quick info on Trumpeter's '63 Nova

I'm on a business trip right now, and found Trumpeter's '63 Nova on sale for $21 at a local Hobby Lobby. I have never tried a Trumpeter kit before, so I would like to know if this kit is any good before I go ahead and buy it. I'm leaving tomorrow, so a quick reply would be greatly appreciated!

BTW: I don't know if they are on sale in all Hobby Lobby stores, but if anyone is interested, this is the store in Cape Girardeu, MO, and they have the Nova and the Bonneville, HT's and convertibles on sale.

They have there quirks, but the Nova and Bonny are nice kits. The Nova body is accurate, interior builds on a platform like most newer AMT stuff. The engine looks good also, it dosen't have the odd tranny like the Monte Carlo. Lots of super detail stuff like seperate frame peices.

For $21 its a good deal. You won't find it cheaper.

The Bonny bubble top is a little short, but the convertible versions of these cars are very nice.

Thanks, guys! There was an open Bonneville kit in the store, so I was able to get a sneak peek. I could see that the roofline was a bit off, and the vent windows were a bit iffy too. I assume that the Bonneville convert has the same vent windows, so we'll see about that one. I don't feel like starting a kit that needs to be modified right now, I'm looking for a good kit that I can build without changing anything (yeah, right... as if that would ever happen. :roll: :D ).

The one I'm interested in is the Nova HT, so it seems like I'm going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow. Might even open it up and check it right away, to see if I need two. :wink:

Ok, got the Nova HT. "Nice" is certainly an understatement, this kit is one of the nicest and most detailed kits I have seen in a long time! I mean, when was the last time you saw working hood hinges in a 1:25 kit? I'm sure I'll have to post another thread when it's time to assemble them though... :roll: :lol: I love the way the parts are detailed and engineered, like how they attached the chrome parts to the tree from the back, so you don't end up with unsightly bare spots in the chrome. If everything fits as good as the design of the parts indicate, this can be a great build, for sure!

My only major gripe is the working steering, that's definitely a feature you don't want to see in a nicely detailed engine bay like in this one, but that can be easily corrected. And the rear end is... well, I really don't know what it is, but it sure needs some help. Except from that, this kit is way better than I expected. I really regret that I only bought one, may have to go through Cape Girardeu on my way home to TN to get another one or three... might even pick up a Bonneville! :lol:

Olle,

One other really nice detail that I don't know if you have discovered yet, or maybe saw but forgot to mention, was that the 6 Cyl. engine is PRE-DRILLED to accept spark plug wires. I saw this and was blown away by the coolness of that detail. To make things even cooler, Model cars published the pictures in an issue shortly after this kit came out, IIRC they were used in the kits development. And let's not forget the guy who did the beautiful boxart. :wink: Yep, they touched all the bases on the HT Nova.

The others kits, unfortunately have been DEEP foul balls; potential Homers just INCHES from going fair. The all have that ONE detail that gets under a modelers skin. The Roof on the Hardtop Pontiac, the interior on the Pontiac Convertible, the windshield height on the Nova convert. (I think there is a difference of opinion on the same kits boot. Someone on another board displayed a picture of a 1:1 '63 with the boot on and it looked pretty bulky as well.), and the ride height and engine on the 78 Monte (OK, the Monte has two but that still averages out to 1.25 overall)

I was doing a blue/blue Nova Convert a couple of years back the ran off the rails due to me completely missing the shade of blue on the interior. Amazing the things that can stall a project isn't it? I have definitly have to get back to getting a Trumpeter Nova on the shelf. Sooner than later.

One other really nice detail that I don't know if you have discovered yet, or maybe saw but forgot to mention, was that the 6 Cyl. engine is PRE-DRILLED to accept spark plug wires.

I had to open up the box and look again, and surely enough: There's holes for the wires! Another thing I didn't mention is how they added "sinks" to the parts to make sure that the styrene fills the whole mold. Seems like it controls the shrinkage too, I can't find any sink marks other than on those round little pieces that you'll cut off anyway. One can always hope that other manufacturers look at this and learn. Details like the sinks, the way the chrome is attached to the sprue etc. don't make a kit more expensive, it's just another and better way of doing the same thing.

Some of my local Hobby Lobby stores had the Bonnie 'vert on sale for eleven bucks and change. Even knowing the kit problems, I couldn't pass it up!!! Same way with the 1/8th duece that I paid just over 30$ for :twisted: