Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Country Club" Hot Rod

GrandpaMcGurk

Kick me in the butt for missing this one, Don. If you're building it, it'll be fantastic. I like your idea for the plugs wires but I'm used to going from the distributor to the head. Didn't you attend the Fatkidd distributor tutorial at the January FAST meeting? Makes things easier for us old guys.

Yeah Jim I was there......but I'm not an ol' guy, heck I'm only 65. Hee.

I think there are as many ways to do a thing as there are people, keeps it interesting for sure.

Don't forget it's your fault I'm building these these small scale models to start with...seems like I every time I log into MCM I learn something new.

This engine is a late '60s 427 B.B.

It came with that old bolt through oil canister (pain in the butt to change if you're a 1:1 grease monkey) so I shortened it, rounded off the bottom and painted it to look like a spin on Fram type oil filter with an adapter(at least in mind).

Aoppps011.jpg

Core plugs are in and still have a lot of touch up to do as you can see, but she's starting to come together.

Starter, soleniod and wiring started...

Accdetail012.jpg

Here's a few more pics, I have to extend the blower snout a little so that I can add a v-belt to run the water pump and alternator.

Also need to add dip stick, upper/lower water hoses, fuel lines and carb linkage.

Accdetail026.jpg

Accdetail024.jpg

Yes, I know the valve cover is upside down in this photo...no worries, it's not glued on yet.

Aoppps010.jpg

Accdetail009.jpg

It's for sure going to be a snug fit to get it between the front fenders.

Accdetail030.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Don,

Very, very neat. I like the plug wire solution, and I'm looking forward to seeing how you attach to the distributor.

This is indeed a very cool country-club hotrod and, and it's so nice to see something different.

Any thoughts on colors? I'm thinking Tamiya Pearl Blue with Pearl White accents and coves over a silver base would look right at home on that car, along with a nice set of steel rims and wide whites on wide hot-rod style tires, like the Modelhaus supplies.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks guys.......I figure if Ira likes it I must be doing something right!

Charlie, although it's not set in concrete yet, right now (subject to change) I think I'm going to go with basic metallic black on the fenders and top of the body. Metallic gold or silver dust for the sides with maybe a red or blue pistipe separating the colors to give it some bling.

As for the wheels I'll see if I can scrounge up some kind of wires with gold backing plates....white walls of course.

Jim....does Rob's carry gold BMF? I'm thinking I might go with some gold trim rather than chrome.

Here's a couple of pics of my scratch built distributor and vacuum advance, now I can finish up the plug wires.

ACCdist002.jpg

ACCdist007.jpg

Thanks Romell, don't think the blower whine would drown out the golfers whinning about landing in sand traps.

One of my buds asked me what kit I used as starting point......actually it was 2 kits.

Axxx1012.jpg

I bought the Lindy kit on ebay for 5 bucks and change......about all I'll use is the body and a few parts. As you can see from the scanned directions below it's not exactly broken down with detail. I cut the entire center out of the belly pan and used square stock for the X-member, built motor mounts for the BB Chevy etc.

Ainstruc-1.jpg

From the Vette I'm using the engine,modified front & rear suspension components and a small section of the pan to mount the rear. I bought it for under 10 dollars at Michaels (with 50% Off coupon).

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

The basic frame is painted with textured "Fusion for plastic". Here's a few pics of it coming together.

A little more paint detailing, some assembly and I'll have a rolling chassis. At that point I'll deal with the multi piece body. I think I'll attempt to either have the entire nose tilt forward or at least the hood and grille as one piece.

AXXXXX010.jpg

AXXXXX009.jpg

AXXXXX008.jpg

AXXXXX007.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Just about have the front suspension done and went searching for some suitable tires (the kit tires were way too small & skinny)...after scrounging thru the parts box, unbuilt kits etc. I found nothing that would fill up the huge wheel wells with a super wide white wall on a classic looking tire.

Anyway, I had some 2 piece plastic tires from an old Revell Caddy kit and decided to modify, paint and make them fit the wheels I'm using.

I was hoping they would give me the look I was after.

I haven't finished painting them yet but just had to do a mock-up for a little eyeballin'.

Yeah buddy..... this is going to be one fat white on a tall classic looking tire, works for me.

AnewCCHR001.jpg

AnewCCHR002.jpg

AnewCCHR004.jpg

AnewCCHR005.jpg

AnewCCHR010.jpg