Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

tire lettering

Hey guys, most of the Revell muscle cars I have purchased (new to the hobby) there is not tire lettering like BF Goodrich, Goodyear, etc. What is the best way to apply lettering to the tires....decals? What is the best aftermarket company for this? Does any company make dry transfers?

Shabo has been OOB for a few years now, I believe.

Dry transfers or decals will work, or simply find some older issues of the kits (or just the tires) you wish to use. Round2 and Testors don't seem to have and tire licensing issues, as the '41 Chevy die-cast from Testors has a nice set of semi-firm rubber tires with BFG sidewall lettering:

41chevyBFG1.jpg

41chevyBFG2.jpg

Shabo has been OOB for a few years now, I believe.

Dry transfers or decals will work, or simply find some older issues of the kits (or just the tires) you wish to use. Round2 and Testors don't seem to have and tire licensing issues, as the '41 Chevy die-cast from Testors has a nice set of semi-firm rubber tires with BFG sidewall lettering:

41chevyBFG1.jpg

41chevyBFG2.jpg

The lettering on those are spot on to the BFG Radial TA. Too bad they didn't take the next step and do the correct tread pattern.

The lettering on those are spot on to the BFG Radial TA. Too bad they didn't take the next step and do the correct tread pattern.

I'm not exactly certain how nor from where kit and die-cast tires are sourced, but the Testors BFG tires sure look like the larger Monogram/Revell Goodyear Blue Streak Sports Car Special tires, based on the tread and width. Sadly, I don't think there's ever been an accurate bi-scale BFG Radial T/A tire made. The Arii tires are too chubby/bulgy and the MPC tires have super-thick tread blocks.

I brush some Future on. Apply a decal. Then shoot some Dullcote on via rattle can. Looks great. You can get tire decals from many different places. I got a huge set from competition resins. I never paint the raised lettering. If it's present, I sand it away and use a decal.