Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Feast of Snakes

Dr. Cranky

All right, maties, I posted the finished model over in UNDER GLASS. I'm really having a blast with these snakes!

Go over there and check them out, but I will give you a teaser shot here:

023-vi.jpg

Thank you for all the kind words and support. It's always a pleasure to build with you guys looking on. Cheers, DC

Well, here's the progress on the new build. I took the 41 Willys frame and modified it to fit under the Cobra. I also had to modify the wheel wells in the rear and open the hood . . . all in a all a couple of day's worth of work so far . . .

I am also using the Hemi from the Revell 41 Willys kit. I've always loved that engine and if I had a dollar for every time I've used it, I could by another dozen kits.

3-vi.jpg

The frame modification was simple enough and it's given me the confidence to be able to use this chassis under a whole bunch of vehicles. This is not the gasser frame, but the street rod . . .

5-vi.jpg

The rest of the build is just getting all the other Cobra kit parts ready . . .

7-vi.jpg

Here's another angle of the shortened frame. It's all going to be painted in semi gloss black . . . simple enough.

6-vi.jpg

Other than all the body chrome bits that will go on at the end, here's the spread of the parts that will go into primer and paint shortly . . .

008-vi.jpg

There are also some after market parts like the wired distributor that's missing . . .

In recent years (since switching to the AB as my main paint source) this is the way I like to build. Simplify things by building and gluing up the chassis and then painting all the parts with the AB . . .

Here's the Hemi mocked up on the shortened chassis . . .

011-vi.jpg

010-vi.jpg

013-vi.jpg

By the way, the chassis/frame modification comes from watching the Donn Yost DVD. He's got lots of great kit-bashing suggestions that really make sense, and he makes it look easy, but you do have to put a bit of elbow grease on it, as it should be to get it right.

5-vi.jpg

Edited by Dr. Cranky

Jim, that's why this forum is worth it's weight in gold. You are going to love using these. Let's see what you cook up with them.

Mike, I don't know about two days but I will have it done by the middle of next week. I am trying to get a few new builds done to take the some of the shows coming up in the next couple of months.

Thanks for staying tuned in, folks. Cheers.