Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cult of ORIGINALITY! Show Us Your Style

Okay, so you say you build original, one-of-a-kind models, so how do you do it? What are the elements of your style? The stuff that makes someone pick your models out of a line up.

I think of the late great Ricky Couch and how every model he built had that COUCH feel and look to it.

Don't be shy, and don't hold back.

And more importantly, what do think the process is for getting there?

Is it paint job? Engines? Over all effect?

Have fun. Thank you.

If you scratch build everything, like me, then it's the subject that makes a difference. There's no kits out (yet) for the cars I build. I like race cars because I've been around them all my life and I like cars that look mean, nasty and fast. The suspension system and motor are the most interesting part for me.

I think with me it is my determination to get the details right. Things like only using semi gloss paint on ccars from the thirties and not using any parts on my Early Hot Rods that wasn't available during the period the car is supposed to be from. I also spend a lot of time detailing my builds to look correct for their period.

But I'm still not exactly sure why it is that I can always recognise who built certain cars. I just know that when I see a model built by people like Tim, Lyle Willets, Barry Fadden, Donn, or You Virgil I recognise who built it. There are other peoples builds I also recognise when I see them!

Sometimes when I'm at the bench I'll get athought in my head about some crazy build or a name for a build. Then I'll stop building and day dream for a while (sometimes for a long while). If it's something I might really want to build I'll jot down a description and a sketch. Sometimes this happens when I'm lying in bed with no tv or radio on. You can go into deep thought then. I have trouble building out of box models. I always have to include a lot of small add on real world details, including trash, dust, dirt, and rust. I think it's the little things on a well built and modified kit that make the difference. Ken

DSCF1147.jpg

I would say my new found style is to paint my builds black.And I also try my hardest to build as clean as possible.

Hiluxcomplete36.jpg

BlackulaIIcompleted13.jpg

DSC05762.jpg

WRXcompleted13.jpg

69Chevellecompleted6.jpg

WOW, those are truly impressive builds. I definately like the way you build. You can never go wrong with black.

I seem to build at two extremes - First I like to ultra detail stuff and get it as accurate as possible. I love the challenge of "getting it right"

spareengine.jpg

My other extreme is just pure fantasy. Something really extreme, but believible. Make it clean but something that nobody ever would have thought of.

ramarossa1.jpg

surfit.jpg

Alfa3.jpg

Edited by Pete J.

Luke, these are just awesome! The wheels on the very first picture, do you recall where they are from?

I would say my new found style is to paint my builds black.And I also try my hardest to build as clean as possible.

Hiluxcomplete36.jpg

BlackulaIIcompleted13.jpg

DSC05762.jpg

WRXcompleted13.jpg

69Chevellecompleted6.jpg

I never really considered myself to have a particular style of building... I do try to make my models "believable" in that if it were a 1:1 vehicle it could actually be driven.

I'm with Rich on this one as well. The highest praise I ever received is when a forum member commented on a '32 5 window I built. He said it looked like a vehicle that could actually be driven safely. 'Nuff said.

G

Sometimes keeping a list of these attribute you hear people say, James, like the working parts, eventually you develop a certain look people can recognize. I think it happens a lot with builders who use sense of humor in their work, or particular graphics, or basically a knack for bright colors, etc . . .

I'm with Rich on this one as well. The highest praise I ever received is when a forum member commented on a '32 5 window I built. He said it looked like a vehicle that could actually be driven safely. 'Nuff said.

G

Similar to the praise you mention Wayne, I once had a fellow club member (who has unfortunately gone to that BIG model room in the sky) tell me that when he sees my models he just wants to get in and drive them... That made me feel great.

Similar to the praise you mention Wayne, I once had a fellow club member (who has unfortunately gone to that BIG model room in the sky) tell me that when he sees my models he just wants to get in and drive them...  That made me feel great.

Tony, Jerry, or Dave? I can picture anyone of them saying that, God bless their souls....

My style incorporates many different things.

First, I almost -never- build shiny. I think I've built a total of 3 so far, out of 11 this year.

Secondly, my basecoats. I don't just rely on primer, I do an entire basecoat for all my militaristic builds (as shown for the first time in detail on my '72 Chevy Technical in 'on the workbench') to give all the non-engine components an aged, bare metal feel. Most of my details are brush painted with miniature acrylics, and I have a preference for my foam-brush technique (stippling) for a majority of my color basecoats.

Third (but first in the process) is my detail pieces. You never know just what I'll incorporate into my details. A previous build for example, 842 Grievous Wound, was made from a Chevy Van roof, a nascar body, the engine from a Bell Huey Helicopter, Lego bits, and SEVERAL bits and pieces from my scrap/spare box. The axles were even scratched from leftover sprues. I also use random bits from toys, household items, and cheap quarter machine stuff.

Lastly, I have a tendency to go over the top on a lot of things. Sometimes my 'it's good enough' switch forgets to trip itself! Sometimes I'll start something, and because I can't quite place what's missing, it will sit until I can find the right piece or detail for it.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else makes me stand out in the crowd... Cranky? You got anything I may have missed? :P