Model Cars Magazine Forum

My First Airbrush

Well in a week or two I may be purchasing my first airbrush. So of course I have a few questions. First off I want to thank the Doctor (Cranky) for showing me the Iwata line of airbrushes. Im thinking that is what I will go with. I dont want to spend more than $180 so this is what I have come up with.

Iwata HP-C Plus 4004 $179.96

Iwata Eclipse HP-SBS 4206 $164.95

Iwata Eclipse HP-CS 4207 $125.97

So here are my thoughts.

Iwata HP-C Plus 4004: I love this one for the huge cup on it and that I can put as much or as little as I need. I also like the fact that it actually says that there is a range of stippling effects that can be done.

Iwata Eclipse HP-SBS 4206: This one I know I will be a huge fan of having the option to use a cup or a jar. I do have other things I would paint that are "bigger" and would be nice to be able to use a jar. At the same time its noce to not have that extra bulk in the way when working on models and when you only need a little amount of paint for them. I also like that the cup can be tilted if ever needed. The 4206 does come with the bigger 1/4oz cup as apposed to the 1/8oz.

Iwata Eclipse HP-CS 4207: With this one, the price is great and I get a larger 1/3oz cup which also has a lid for it like the HP-C.

Im sure I could pick anyone of these three and be completely happy. Im a big fan of features, functionality, and flexability. The HP-SBS fits the bil but one thing I am wondering is, am I able to get a cup for it that is larger than 1/4oz? Maybe there is a 1/3oz available for that model? If there is not a larger cup available for the 4206 that might be the deciding factor on me not getting that one....MAYBE. So now that would leave me with the HP-CS and the HP-C Plus. Maybe with this its just a matter of price? Do all airbrushes stipple? Is stippling an actual feature or just something that is possible after removing the crown?

Any help on helping me decide on one of these fine airbrushes would be much appreciated. Maybe I just need to look for what features i would like more than others or the cost am most happy with?

Thanks for the help.

I actually expected a bit more feedback on this after 40+ views. Anyway I have been doing some thinking and I think I may be leaning towards the Iwata HP-C Plus 4004 airbrush. With my 2nd project on the bench im thinking Im going to get the HOK paints from TCP Global and get the "HOK (BC) Top 8 Kit" in 4oz bottles. Are there any other "chemicals" or anything I need when working with the HOK paints? Im thinking of using the ever so popular Dupont clear that a lot of you like to use. Should I be using HOK clear? Im also going to be using either Model Masters or Tamiya primer. Any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated.

I have the HP-CS and I love it! I don't think you could go wrong with any of those though. As far as other chemicals, you may just want to pick up some of the HOK Medium reducer in case you want it a little thinner, and I'm not positive, but I thought I heard/read somewhere that HOK paints needed to be sprayed at around 40-45psi, I may be wrong though, but if it does you will want to make sure your compressor can go that High. I know mine only goes to 30 psi. As I am new, take this advice lightly.

Well the one compressor I am looking at (at menards) will max out at 100psi plus I can use it for other air tools. Maybe Doctor Cranky can lend some of his HOK knowledge on this topic becasue after looking for reducer I am filled with more questions. So I know that I use a reducer HOK (RU310) to thin it out but then to finish the "art" it seems I will also need the "Kosmic Kolor Urithane Klear (UC35)" and because of that I also need to mix it with "Exempt Catalyst (KU150)".

Do I ned all of this if I plan to work with HOK paint?

How does all of this get mixed?

What order/process does this get applied?

As you mentioned, what psi should HOK be applied?

Can HOK be reduced and applied at a lower psi?

Wayne, you can't go wrong with the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. It's a great AB for the money. I have several of those, and one with the MAC valve underneath so I can dial down the pressure right at the gun, but that's not a big deal you can get a dial hook up adjuster for the line . . .

Yes, lately I have been getting the pre-mixed paints from COASTAIRBRUSH, and those are ready to go, although I will often put another drop or two of the reducer.

Remember to practice every day and you'll get the hang of it before you know it.

You are entering a whole new world of fun and possibilities! OH, and don't forget to invest in the best RESPIRATOR money can afford. Take your HEALTH seriously even when you are airbrushing acrylics.

Good luck and have fun.

Yep, I'm quite happy with my Paasche H, but I find myself during my downtime wishing I had a dual A/B so I can doodle sketches like I used to. Have fun though, that's the #1 rule in anything we take up as a hobby!

Well either today or tomorrow will be the day that I get my new Iwata HP-C Plus airbrush. I can't wait to get it in my hands and start using it. I also have been flirting with the idea of trying to get back into my art work and seeing how the airbrush works for that. I used to be a pretty good drawer back in my day but eventually my skill plateaued and later diminished. I starting thinking that getting a camera and my phoshop skills may assist in putting the ideas I had in my head, down onto paper but thats even a big task. Anyway, Im looking forward to seeing what I can do with an airbrush in my hand and what kinds of models I can turn out.