Model Cars Magazine Forum

Onboard fire supression system HELP!

Romell R

Hey felles I could use a little help with this. Ive been all over the world wide web looking to photos of the fire supression system in drag cars , Ive come up short. If anyone has photos of how the system is hooked up it would be a huge help to me. thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide. Romell

rom, here's what i came up with. all of the blown cars i have seen either have the bottles in the pass. area or the trunk. it seems only the nitrous cars are running them up front. now that's not to say someone, somewhere doesn't. just in my selection of photos it seems to be the trend. that being said here are a few shots that may heip. the fire bottles in this car are in the pass. area,

019-1.jpg

note the 2 blue discharge nozzles in front of the fuel cell.

041.jpg

here you can see the discharge nozzle aimed at the driver. it is above/ behind the brake pedal.

036.jpg

hopefully chris will have some more for you to choose from.

Edited by comp1839

here's a deist system....pretty simple, and very effective....the little slices cause the suppressant to fog in almost 180 degree arch....not as pretty as the one posted, but it's what the "big boys" use

post-4215-0-68249600-1331509983_thumb.jp

post-4215-0-20131600-1331510003_thumb.jp

I would think this is crazy insane detail, and wouldn't waste my time posting, but I know you are crazy insane detailing your pro mod....

I like the diagram, that is pretty detailed information on routing and connecting the bottles.

As for not adding this and saying it is a detail that can be left out.... I would have to question that thought process. If you are building an accurate scale car of anything, nothing should be left out. Why add some detail and not others? Sure you can use the easy way out and say it isn't seen, but the builder knows it isn't there. Making the build no longer accurate.

big boys....aka....nitro applications....not sure why you gave up? is it a dig at me? :) is that a pointed stick?

Umm possibly because you are saying what you posted is what the "Big Boys use" for Nitro applications. When in fact that is like slapping Dave and saying what he posted isn't the right application for the requested poster. Just saying, I would think that someone that races and is around Pro Mods quite frequently should know what he is talking about.

I could be off base.

Bart, looks like its the steering box inthe cockpit, but I have a question now Dave. What are the brackets welded to the steering column for?

Those brackets are welded to some point on the chassis to support the steering column .

if you are referring to the brackets on top of the steering input. they are for the race pak dash. if you mean the ones on the side of the steering box . they mount to a bolt in cross tube on the chassis.

edit. my apologies. the cross tube is not a bolt in. it is welded to the upper rails.

Edited by comp1839

Thanks Dave, I thought thats what they would be for , just wanted to make sure. We only have one current spec fuel funny down here but making it to the limited meetings he runs at isnt always possible. ( I should have been a bit clearer on mentioning that it was the top brackets I was referring to) but to me it was prety obvious what the others were for.

A simple questions for you experts on these fire suppression systems as these are new to me since I normally build vintage racers. It looks like they use a hard bendable tubing on all of the lines and not a braided type of line? How much psi do these bottles have? All of this is so interesting and I thank you for your posting the diagrams and descriptions.