Model Cars Magazine Forum

coming soon 2012 camaro pro mod

Hey guys:

Just wanted to chime in here and tell everyone that TDR is working with Henry to develope this new 2012 Pro Mod Camaro. This project is in its very early stages but should progress quickly. Hopefully we will have it on the market before summer........Let me see Revell or Tamia do that!!!!!!!

This may be a good opertunity to outline the process we go through to create these brand spanking new model bodies. Here is a basic outline of the process

Step 1) Someone like you comes up with a body that you just got to have. So you contact TDR and ask....."can you make me ___________"

Step 2) If it is a stock car or a very common race type car, I will send you off to a 3D modeling site like "TurboSquid.com" and tell you to search it for the car you want. If ou are unable to find it at the modeling site, the next step is to get it custom modeled for you, in the computer. That is where Dan Palatnik comes in http://www.palat.com.br/cars.htm. If you supply Dan pictures and basic dimensions he can create the computer model from scratch.

Step 3) Once TDR has the computer model from either Dan or TurboSquid we can then begin our work. It can take between 10 and 15 hours of compter work to get the body ready for 3D printing.

Step 4) Once TDR has completed it's work, the model is uploaded to Shapeways and it is entered into our catalog and it is ready to sell.

One note about trying to have models scanned into the computer. I have done some scanned models and I have done a lot of models from Dan and Turbosquid. Hands down the models from Dan are the best, the next best are the models from TurboSquid and the worst are the scanned models. Also, Dan can model up the car of your dreams cheaper than you can get the model scanned here in the USA.

So for right now.....we are on Step 2......and we wait for Dan to do his magic.

Edited by DaytonaTim

no body said it was cheap, henry. hehe. just kiddin'. seriously, for a body to come to you guys is a pretty serious investment for the guy funding the project. you might want to complain about the cost when you buy one. the guy funding it pays more than you do. something to think about.

hey joe your very right about spending money

Oh i know it's not cheap by any means, Kudos to you for being able to do this. We as modeling community are lucky to have guys like you and Dave that fund these projects and all the rest that make it happen.

my suggestion would be, someone should contact five star. the print they are telling you is a pro mod print is a pro stock or something other than a pro mod. a 105" wheel base is pro stock territory not pro mod. in another spot on their site they list the pro mod body as 109" -115" wheel base. more appropriate pro mod numbers. they also list their pro mod and pro stock noses reversed. pro stocks need real head lights and a simulated grille face. . pro mods don't.

i believe you will find the captions are backwards on this add. you have to ask yourself, why would i put headlights in my pro mod? they are not required. where as pro stocks are reqired to put in stock sealed beam light lenses or accepted replicas. same with the grille. pro stock required.

2_compareFrontClips.jpg