Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Project Progress - 365

I wanted to build an '08 new style Peterbilt but couldn't decide which.. since a couple of hoods I made (389 and 367 SBFA) are out being cast so I will have copies, I'm pretty much down to a SFFA 367 or 365. I chose the 365. The 365 replaced the 357-111 and has a 115" BBC.

365_paintedrh.jpg

The basic kit is the good ol' Pete 377 (Revell of Germany version). I reworked the end of the frame for a straight truck rail.

365_resting_on_frame.jpg

The hood is scratchbuilt from sheet plastic. The fenders are from a spare 378 hood (damaged). I cut off the molded on 377 fenders from the cab sides and replaced the lower section of the cab. The door handles and windows were reworked for the modern style.

365painted.jpg

Since the 377 kit doesn't come with the correct battery box covers, I made one out of Don Mills tread plate. Laying beside the battery box is the RH exhaust. Note the white plastic standpipe. The standpipe mimics the fat pipe with tapered bottom and defusers of the '08 style exhaust. I will cover the pipe with Bare Metal Foil. The DPF will be mount on the RH under the rail.

365_top_of_hood.jpg

The hood is basically 5 pieces of plastic. Top, left, right, thin top of hood spine and the front piece that became the grille. With just the right amount of careful sanding I obtained the proper slope to the hood.

The grille crown/surround will be covered in Bare Metal Foil.

I don't know what the final outcome of the truck will be.. factory new or in-service.. stay tuned!

Thanks for looking!

Tim

Tim,

Once again, amazing work :!: :!: I'm just overwhelmed at your knowledge of trucks and in particular the Petes.

I'm curious to know, are you involved with the trucking industry in some way with your occupation or do you do something completely different :?: If you are not involved in trucking your knowledge of all the details on the different models of Petes impresses me even more.

Can't wait to see how you finish this one up. Do you polish out your paint jobs?

Dave

Thanks!

The 365 is new for this model year.

Here is a photo of one:

75355401.jpg

Mine is different from the photo with mine having a smaller fuel tank, straight standpipe, Victory Red color and other differences.

Tim

Tim,

Great little project. Look forward to seeing the finished photo,s. Never seen a 365 before.

Best Wishes

Ron

I have no professional connection with the truck manufacturing industry or trucking itself. I am just an outsider looking in.

This photo should show what my real job is.. I'm standing beside these then brand new '05 units after I had applied the graphics. Nasty photo.. I think I just sneezed. Actually I wasn't in a good mood when this photo was taken as my mom was not in good health and I had a lot on my mind at the time.

Tim

068p1_lg.jpg

Tim,

Once again, amazing work :!: :!: I'm just overwhelmed at your knowledge of trucks and in particular the Petes.

I'm curious to know, are you involved with the trucking industry in some way with your occupation or do you do something completely different :?: If you are not involved in trucking your knowledge of all the details on the different models of Petes impresses me even more.

Can't wait to see how you finish this one up. Do you polish out your paint jobs?

Did you ever work in the business at all? I thought I read something about you working at a radio station at one time. I figured your longtime interest would've brought you to the trucking industry in some capacity or another. Or did you feel it wasn't for you? I figured maybe you drove or maybe worked as a mechanic(at a pete dealer of course) at one time. Do you deal with commercial vehicle enforcement in your dept? I know some Sherrif's depts. do. I never would've guessed you were a cop.

State Police? No, county sheriff's office. I am the administrator for the county jail.

To answer the question if my mom got any better? Nope, several days after that photo was taken (two years ago today) she passed away. Throat cancer. She was a constant smoker for most of her life but hadn't smoked in 15 years. The cancer was not detected by her doctor who figured it must be asthma and never looked further until it was too late.

Tim

Nice work. The new Peterbilt models take the classic red oval look and bring it into this century. I'm not really fond of the new hedlights, but its nothing some classsic double round headlight's won't take care of. Since you seem to be in a new Pete mood, how about some ideas for the next one? I know you're capable of it, Tim :lol: .

A couple 389's in white and red. The second one has the old school vibe going strong with the bullet lights and small bumper.

75381811.jpg

75544073.jpg

A nice minty 389.

75633985.jpg

And my personal favorine, this downright gorgeous lime green and black 389. Dad says its a good thing he's not in the market for a new one, or he'd be all over it.

75375713.jpg

very nice Tim, I like the "My cow died I dont need your bull" coffee mug.

ruh roh next time Im haulin up that way Ill have to remember to be careful not to be pulled over.

Yanno all this time I was pickin you as either a driver or former driver not an outsider with a love of the Red Oval, but that kicks a$$!!!!!

did you work in radio or is flatbed thinking of your radio spot on kdka am?

Josh

Very true, and who is to tell if I would have been hired by PB or a dealer..

I'm sure if I would have lived in the Bay Area of California at the time (1975+) and showed my love for all things Red Oval I could have gotten on in some form or fashion.

I'm content building them in small scale.

Tim

Tim,

A pity you weren't in the Marketing Department at PB. The new 389 might have got some decent looking headlights. They look like the type of Spectacles women used to wear in the 1950s and 1960s :roll: . Fit some single round headlights and the new Pete's will look superb!! :D

I definately could see you working in the marketing Department spending time with the owners and drivers, finding out what they really want. Getting involved in new prototypes , testing vehicles. Wow what a great job!!! 8)

What ever Tim its been a pleasure to make your acquaintance.