Model Cars Magazine Forum

Would this work in real life?

Ok, among the many projects I have going on is a 1/16 KW.

I wanted to do something quite different (an 18 wheel tractor) so I stretched the frame and added two extra drive axles.

I've seen three axle dumps & semis and I know the foremost axle is not a driver.

After I built the frame & got everything built up, I started thinking, "Would this this actually be able to turn?"

Anybody think it would or would not in real life?

At any rate, as I said I wanted something different so why not?

It's all about having a good time right?

It will also ultimately be a twin turbo (maybe a quad turbo).

Please gimmee some input.

I will try to take a pic or two today and see if I can get 'em to post, I'm not the most komruter literate dude.

it would turn with no problem if it was a quad steer or if you were able to lift one or two of those axles when you turn. the tractor i drive automaticly lifts the axle when you put the turn signal on. just in case i forget to lift it.

Thanks for the input guys.

I've tried to load a pic or two but it isn't working.

The icon says, "Uploaded xxx MB of xxx MB" but the little spinner thing keeps on spinning no matter how long I wait.

Anyway, eventually I'll get it figured out...MAYBE!

Ok, more input, I haven't decided whether to do an Aerodyne or a regular sleeper.

What do you guys think, I'm partial to the Aerodyne.

Man, I wish I had the talent/ability to stretch a sleeper, I'd love to have it a bit longer.

I'm in the process of cobbling the twin turbos & their plumbing in between working on my Chargers.

I can look into this more if you would like, since I work at KW in Chillicothe, but normally on a W9 you can go up to a tridem axle set up on the rear (for drive axles on the rear). They make both steerable and non-steerable pushers that can be added along with dual steer (under the cab and works with steering wheel). If you want to go with the most axles, you could go with dual steer, 3 steerable pushers, tridem and a tag. If you would like to turn, it is recomended to remove the dual steer. If you are going with an different model of Kenworth, there are many more options. They make some pretty big trucks. Try looking up a C5 10x10.

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike.

I've already built the frame but maybe next time I get a wild hair I'll try the two steering axles.

I'll look up that C5, sounds neat.

I wish I could make this thing post pics but I've tried numerous times without any luck.

I like your sig picture by the way :)

I'm fishing for some of those in 1/16th scale....

No problem. Here are a couple pics we have at work. They limit what we can do on the internet @ work.

Russian20K5002010x10202_jpg.jpg

C52010x10.jpg

It is really easy to post pics, especially with photobucket. There is usually a img code that has "img" inside of brackets. Copy that, paste it here and it pops up.

Now that I can see the video posted above, I can say that truck has dual steer with a steerable pusher up front and a tridem set up on the rear with a tag. Drop me a line if you need any info and I will see what I can do.

Mike