Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pearl Ex pigments,Help please.

I mixed them in Future like in Dr. C's video and stirred everything up,but when I go to shoot it through the airbrush It is WAY to thin.So thin that one light mist builds it up in spots.What do I do to get it to lay down good?Anyone have any other tutorials or tips to share?

As I started that pearl x mess...I will also say Future and the A/B don't like each other well. I put my pearl x in TS 13 and shoot 1 coat, then cover it with more clear. I have done 15 or more that way...If you want different pearls, you can shoot them mixed together or one per coat. This Impy has 3 pearls in the clear...It is subtile..but the roof and interior are the same base in this pic...Pink, silver, and white flakes were used.

IMG_1683.jpg

Edited by MikeMc

I mixed them in Future like in Dr. C's video and stirred everything up,but when I go to shoot it through the airbrush It is WAY to thin.So thin that one light mist builds it up in spots.What do I do to get it to lay down good?Anyone have any other tutorials or tips to share?

Mike, I second what Mike said: Future is not really the best stuff for a clear coat, and all pearlescent finishes are done as clear coats, with pearl powder added.

Best to use a hobby grade clear coat, such as Tamiya's T13 or ModelMaster's clear coat--then only a small about of the pearl powder in it. That has worked every time I've tried it!

Art

I've used the Pearl Ex powders only twice so far. I use a McDonald's coffee stir and put about 1/8 inch of powder on it and that gets mixed with Plastikote Super Clear. I've only used one color at a time and only on the first clear coat. That Pearl Ex stuff is pretty cool.

I've used it a few time and like it very much. I painted a 50 Ford custom truck, a Corsair airplane, a Sea Fury race plane and many land speed cars with it and they all turned out good (to my eyes anyway). :D I used it in Future floor polish and Testors clear and also mixed it in the paint and sprayed it. I have pics in my photobucket of the builds if you're interested or I could post some here if you like. Dan

I've used it a few time and like it very much. I painted a 50 Ford custom truck, a Corsair airplane, a Sea Fury race plane and many land speed cars with it and they all turned out good (to my eyes anyway). :D I used it in Future floor polish and Testors clear and also mixed it in the paint and sprayed it. I have pics in my photobucket of the builds if you're interested or I could post some here if you like. Dan

did you mix testors clear into future or by it's self?

Not all Micheal's carry them. The one near me doesn't anymore (they used to), and they weren't on their site last time I checked. Hobby Lobby also used the carry the full line, but now only seem to carry 4 colors (micro pearl, macro pearl, Antique Silver, and one of the golds) in the 4 ounce bottle. Nice thing, though, is that a little goes a long way.

I will partially disagree with Donn about mixing in paints other than clear. I have had very good success with mixing in transparent colors to get pearl/metallic finishes. The color does have to be very transparent for it to work and not lose the effect. So far, all the times I have done this, it's been in Testors enamels, always a metallic or pearl color, cut 50% with straight Testors Boyd clear. Not wanting start any arguments or anything, only relaying my own experiences.

Austin, I am very sorry if I mislead you with my video. I mixed the Pearl Ex powders into Future for demonstration purposes only, to show how they looked once you mix them in to the clear. I mix mine into clear, either enamel like Donn does or into urethane clear, BUT NOT into FUTURE.

Future is indeed too thin . . . and it's not really a good clear coat.