Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi all,

I don't know if this topic has been brought up before, so I'll ask it anyway.

If the kit manufacturers were to produce some new kits of modern trucks with modern engines and chassis and trailers also, what would you most like to see made? List just five you'd most like to see, trucks and/or trailers.

My five are, 1) Any Peterbilt highway or vocational/construction truck

2) Mack Granite or Vision with sleeper

3) Kenworth T660 with 86" Studio Sleepr

4) International 9900ix with Pro sleeper

5) Great Dane 48'/53' x 102" Reefer with chrome front/rear doors and modern Thermo King or Carrier reefer unit, closed or spread tandems.

I could list more but I thought five, because the list would just get out of control lol!

What's goin' on...

I'd like to see the .....

Frieghtliner Coronado

Peterbilt 388/389

Western Star Lowmax

International's got a new one I can't recall the name.

Speaking of International I've got the Clint Freeman Components 9300 but I'd like to see that as a complete kit!!!

Trailer wise....

It'd have to be one of these pigs!!!! This trailer would be the most difficult to scratchbuild.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=64968412

What a question.

This is certain to generate some interest. For me I would just hope that if the manufacturers were to bring any new kits to the market. They would do their market research properly to manufacture kits that reflect the wants and needs of the model truck builder. It would be interesting to see if these matched the real needs and wants of the owners and drivers of real trucks. For example the Revell and Italeri 377 Peterbilt. If you asked someone what the most popular modern peterbilt is I don't think they would say the 377. Its almost a foregone conclusion that they would say 379. This seems to be one of the trucks that everyone wants. So what do the model manufacturers do make a 377.

My interests are trucks from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. So really I,m pretty well taken care of with the AMT, Ertl, Revell and Italeri range, supplimented by some excellent aftermarket parts. But I would love to build a 379 Pete with a C16 Caterpillar and a new aerodynamic Pete 384 and one or two others.

Yes, good question, its certainly got me thinking.

Dave

When Italeri tooled up the 377 and 378 kits (1996) the 377 was a HOT seller for Peterbilt. It was popular. Across-the-pond they must think the 377 is still being built and selling like hotcakes, or they can't tell the difference between a 386 and a 377. The 385 must have really confused them as it was similar to a 377.

The 378 kit is the kit they should have kept producing. Swap the stand-up sleeper into the 378 kit and it would have been ideal. Then tool a 379 127" hood and grille and we'd have been happy.

Now with the 379 no longer in production, the chances of a model of it being tooled up are slim.

We need more people writing letters to Italeri asking for modern (2006+) units.

Tim

Tim,

Do you think they'll listen? AMT/Ertl doesn't seem to care what modelers think. Is Testors/Italeri any different? Guess it couldn't hurt.

My picks fo modern trucks:

KW T660

Mack Granite & Vision

Freightliner Coronado

KW W900B & W900L

Peterbilt 389

Ok, that's seven, but I can dream can't I?

I tend to build up city trucks so my list skews towards those, one can only build so many Ford C-series and Louisvilles.

1. Freightliner FL or M2 Business class... or a Century class. I would buy a bunch.

2. Newer Hino conventional.

3. Sterling Acterra or other medium duty

4. A modern oval tanker... sorta like that fancy chrome Revell job. Maybe even just a tank that you can set on a bobtail frame.

5. A newer 53' trailer that can easily be cut down to shorter size with options for a modern reefer. The Italeri trailer is close but too short height wise.

...really any of the modern business/medium duty cabs. Many of heavy duty trucks in production are trickier to shorten the hood on than the older stuff due to increased angles in the hood slope/shape.

What's goin' on...

Josh

Prostar is what I was thinking of. A Duraplate would be easy to build w/ the exception of doing the rivets. I still have yet to figure out how to make rivets that doesn't take five mins. to get one finished!!!

I tried thie to relace rivets on an Italeri Western Star, a dulled point on a tooth pick (how much you flatten the point ,makes the rivet bgger or smaller ) touch the tooth pick to a medium thickness super glue and touch it where you want a rivet. It takes a few times to master it, but the end result works. Paul

What's goin' on...

I know that using a pin vice drilling a hole on the back side of the piece (beit cab,trailer side panel) stopping just before the drill goes thru the plastic/styrene will leave a mark that'll look like a rivet. That's good for small to moderate detail work but not on a full length 53ft(25th scale) trailer. I've entertained the thought of rigging up a drill press so the depth at the end of the travel is perfect for making rivets w/out piercing thru the styrene.

Thanks for the tip I'll try that sometime.

Tim,

Do you think they'll listen? AMT/Ertl doesn't seem to care what modelers think. Is Testors/Italeri any different? Guess it couldn't hurt.

My picks fo modern trucks:

KW T660

Mack Granite & Vision

Freightliner Coronado

KW W900B & W900L

Peterbilt 389

Ok, that's seven, but I can dream can't I?

If Italeri or Revell listen ,they could easily do a Sterling off one of there Ford kits . Paul :D

Here's a copy of an email that I sent to Revell-Germany, Testors/Italeri & Revell-Monogram. I;ll let you know what responses I get (if any).

"There is growing concern in the model truck community of the lack of modern truck kits. Most of the US truck kits on the market today represent trucks from the mid-1970s through the mid-1990s. Current discussions in the model truck community have come up with several trucks that we hope a manufacturer like Revell would be interested in offering. These trucks are: Kenworth T660, W900B & W900L, Peterbilt 389, Mack Vision, Mack Granite, Freightliner Coronado, & International Prostar.

These are but a small sampleing of the modern (2006) the we hope Revell would be interested in producing.

Thank you for your time and consideration on this matter,"

Obviously I replaced Revell with Testors when I sent this to them.

This is the response I got when I sobmitted it to Revell-Monogram:

"Your feedback has been sent. Please remember that we will not be able to respond to your coments, however they are very important to us and will be considered as we look to make changes to our website."

Not very promissing! We'll just have to wait & see.

With all due respect, in one ear and out the other. I have corresponded with every model company, especially the ones that put out big rigs over the last twenty five years or so. For the most part, they will produce a truck if it has to do with a car. But nice to have young guys keep the hope alive. :roll: :roll:

Response from Revell Germany:

"Dear Mr. Bongiovanni,

thank you very much for your e-mail and your interest in our products.

Your product proposals and comments are collected in our

new-items-proposal-list. Due to the large number of comments and letters we receive,

it is not possible to include all the products proposed.

We do our best to offer a comprehensive range covering various themes.

Nevertheless we thank you very much for your suggestions and we will

include them into our proposal list for the coming years.

Regards,

S. Haller"

Chuckyr, you're probably right.

Response from Testors:

"Dear Mr. Bongiovanni,

Thank you so much for your comments regarding our line of products and

the customer service that you have received. In order for a company to

improve its line of products, it helps greatly to learn directly from

the consumers; their thoughts and opinions.

At times, it has been the consumers that have pointed out needed

changes and improvements to our product line. Our marketing strategy

is

that we strive to provide the best possible products available in the

hobby industry and to provide the best possible service to our

modeling-crafter friends. I have forwarded your suggestions on to

product development for thier review. Again, thank you for letting us

know of your support and interest in the Testor product line.

Regards,

Christie Van Hulle

Testor Corporation

Customer Service Department"

Here's a copy of an email that I sent to Revell-Germany, Testors/Italeri & Revell-Monogram. I;ll let you know what responses I get (if any).

"There is growing concern in the model truck community of the lack of modern truck kits. Most of the US truck kits on the market today represent trucks from the mid-1970s through the mid-1990s. Current discussions in the model truck community have come up with several trucks that we hope a manufacturer like Revell would be interested in offering. These trucks are: Kenworth T660, W900B & W900L, Peterbilt 389, Mack Vision, Mack Granite, Freightliner Coronado, & International Prostar.

These are but a small sampleing of the modern (2006) the we hope Revell would be interested in producing.

Thank you for your time and consideration on this matter,"

Obviously I replaced Revell with Testors when I sent this to them.

This is the response I got when I sobmitted it to Revell-Monogram:

"Your feedback has been sent. Please remember that we will not be able to respond to your coments, however they are very important to us and will be considered as we look to make changes to our website."

iNot very promissing! We'll just have to wait & see.

I sent Revell, Revell of Germany ( they are seperate now ) ERTL and Italeri a suggestion that if we cannot get new kits, how about "parts packs tractor upgrades" or customizing kits like Revell did for pick ups in the mid 70's. Paul

I would like to see in no particular order as I'd be happy with any of them.

Late model IH Paystar

IH 7400

Freightliner FL80-90

Frieghtliner FL112

Sterling ??? (sorry don't know the model #'s on these)

Yes, I would be really happy to see some medium duty trucks :lol:

Also would love to see an eliptical tanker truck (not trailer) on any chassis. This could easily be done with more than 1 option as a construction water truck, fire department water tender, fuel truck etc.

Chassis only kits? Now there's an idea!

I know Americal Industrial Truck Models ( http://www.aitruckmodels.com/ ) offers an 11-1/2" frame ( http://www.aitruckmodels.com/pages/kt9frame.html ) & a 12" frame ( http://www.aitruckmodels.com/pages/kt10frame.html ), but I don't know what they're like, and it looks like you only get the frame. Axles, fuel tanks, wheels, tires, etc. are extra. But they're only $8.