Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors One Shot White Lightning.

What undercoat have you had best results? I just shot it over silver and im not impresssed. White primer maybe. Anything darker and im afraid of it showing around edges and raised detail. Also at least over silver indoors its just not that impressive. In the sun though it really pops.

How have you used this paint to best effect? Pics helpful.

I have always had the best luck with using Duplicolor white primer with the White Lightning. It took a couple of tries to shoot this color and make it look good. Very light mist coats and 1 semi heavy. When its cleared it looks awesome.Don't spray with a heavy finger, its hard to see your coverage. Once you get it figured out it looks as good as the other One Coat colors. It's a great lineup of paint. I wish they would release a few more colors

Randy

I've used the White Lightning color once and I must have had too heavy a hand and the paint ran badly. Also I sprayed it over Duplicolor gray primer and wasn't happy with the final product. After three trips into the stripper I gave up on it and the model ('50 Ford Conv. Custom) is back in the box until I feel like tackling it again... I find that you really have to spray light, mist coats with these One Coat paints or they will run badly on you. I've used the Blazing Black and the Inca Gold also with good results. I really don't think they are ONE COAT paints because you really have to apply them in light coats to build up coverage, but maybe it's just me...

I've used the White Lightning color once and I must have had too heavy a hand and the paint ran badly. Also I sprayed it over Duplicolor gray primer and wasn't happy with the final product. After three trips into the stripper I gave up on it and the model ('50 Ford Conv. Custom) is back in the box until I feel like tackling it again... I find that you really have to spray light, mist coats with these One Coat paints or they will run badly on you. I've used the Blazing Black and the Inca Gold also with good results. I really don't think they are ONE COAT paints because you really have to apply them in light coats to build up coverage, but maybe it's just me...

I agree with Jason on the white base... And Richard brings up the issue I have with the ONE COAT Lacquers....WAY TOO THICK...I have found you need to really decant and A/B for the best use, BUT you can heat those full cans after shaking for 3 min...then reshake and back up a bit...it will mist with the correct distance,and keep it turning and spraying till covered....let it set for 15 min...look at it for missed spots or striping....reshoot warmed / shaken can and remist. Let sit for 15 min..NOW do it with your clear...same way, same windows. The clear will need 2 or 3 thin even coats for the pearl to pop! To me thats a lot of work, as I prefer to shoot jacquards Pearl X in my first clear coat..then bury it with 3 or 4 more thin coats....WOW !!!!