Model Cars Magazine Forum

You ever see Young kids buy models,

I have rarely seen kids buying model kits. I have however given advice to adults in the Hobby Lobby model section who were looking to buy for their kids. As a teacher for the past twenty one years, I have not once heard a kid refer to building a model. It's just a different world than it was when us older (I'm 48) guys were kids. I probably got my interest from my father who built models and model rockets. I did both through my teen years, returned to drag subjects in my twenties, before finally getting jumpstarted by having a son. I have never pressed him, but have provided opportunities, and he as built a few, but really likes painting the military figures more than anything. As a teacher, I have often considered leading a model or model rocket class/club as an extracurricular at our school. However, the sad reality is that parents make such things unattractive to do, as someone will blame me for their kid doing something inappropriate with a model rocket engine or something like that. I would love to help introduce interest in the hobby, but its just not easy. How long can the hobby sustain itself with the dwindling youth participation. Only time will tell.

Edited by dragin70s

I have rarely seen kids buying model kits. I have however given advice to adults in the Hobby Lobby model section who were looking to buy for their kids. As a teacher for the past twenty one years, I have not once heard a kid refer to building a model. It's just a different world than it was when us older (I'm 48) guys were kids. I probably got my interest from my father who built models and model rockets. I did both through my teen years, returned to drag subjects in my twenties, before finally getting jumpstarted by having a son. I have never pressed him, but have provided opportunities, and he as built a few, but really likes painting the military figures more than anything. As a teacher, I have often considered leading a model or model rocket class/club as an extracurricular at our school. However, the sad reality is that parents make such things unattractive to do, as someone will blame me for their kid doing something inappropriate with a model rocket engine or something like that. I would love to help introduce interest in the hobby, but its just not easy. How long can the hobby sustain itself with the dwindling youth participation. Only time will tell.

Rob, you're a teacher. You have the ability to introduce a younger generation to the hobby. I taught for eight years. I had a model aircraft club a model car club and a Hot Rod club. It can be done, and you will be surprised at the turn out and interest. Yes, I'd stay away from the rockets, tried that once the year I taught Jr High.

Parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles and teachers. You might even throw in Scout leaders as well. Come on you guys, you can do it. I did.

Guest Johnny

"But I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."

That has been my anthem for years. I adopted it after 18 months two weeks and three days in hell!

I hardly ever see youth like me (I'm 15) buying models but at hobby lobby the other day there was a couple and daughter buying a model for their son and weren't sure about what kits were muscle cars so I led them in the right direction and helped them pick out some spray paint.

Guest Johnny

I haven't seen that many kids lately with $25-30 in their pockets.

B)

That just might surprise you to find out the truth! Far more than you might expect.

Gotta remember doing something we got 1.50-5.00 for pays about three to 5 times more these days!

I mowed big yards in the early 60's for 2 bucks. My mower and gas.

My father-in-law pays the kid that helps him mow 15 bucks for helping him mow a same sized yard!

See a lady this winter hand a kid a 20 dollar bill for shoveling her walk. In my day that was about 50 cents to a dollar!

Since when are kits for kids?

Let them kids play with their stupid shiny stuff from China and leave the kits to people who know what to do with them.

how true is that i have seen so many ruined exspensive model glue bombs, video games pretty much took kids out of the hobby anyway i give my son a chance on a model or a video game he picks the video game every time.

Nice to see people trying to get kids involved in the hobby. Modeled are the only thing I can think of that's educational without kids knowing it. They teach how to follow directions and paience among others.

Darren try building a car from one of the video games like twisted metal or something. If that doesn't work you can always cut one of the cords and blame it on the cat.

With the offerings the kit industry saw fit to release over the past 30 odd years I'm for some odd reason not surprised kids aren't buying kits. In fact, I am surprised that I still go for the odd result of a worn out mold reissued the umpteenth time.

heck I was buying kits at 13 and all through my teen years. I started working at age 13, sweeping a grocery store parking lot after school, and soon moved up to sweeping the backroom, and stocking shelves, and eventually Managing the store;before getting into my current field. the problem is most kids dont have to , or dont want to work.... hard to buy anything when you have no cabbage..... I started building at the age of 7 or so, my father wouldnt let me help him in the garage until I knew basic parts.... he bought me a snap kit ( 1:32 55 chevy, molded in bright orange) and after a few kits, and being able to identify basic parts, (intake, carb, steering column, etc.) I was allowed to pass him tools and monkey around in the garage.

Most of the teens that I know, or have worked with, are completely stupid when it comes to 1:1 vehicles and I thank my father for essentially making me learn. when the buddys were driving old hondas and ######, I had built a 70 monte carlo and raced it 1/4 mile and some autocross, ive built/restored a few 1:1s and owned allot of other cool stuff, since. Kids now days dont have to work for anything, mommy and dady support them, and dont make them do anything.... if I didnt go outside and run around, or speed up and down the sidewalk on my bike and mash on the brakes and leave blackies in front of the neighbours houses ( they hated me for that) then life would have been h e l l for me! we had video games, and all kinds of stuff, but if we sat and played for too long, guess what...... it was unplugged and we were forced to do something creative.... through my later teen years, I used Model Building as a release for all the "teen" problems I had. when buddys were doing all kinds of drugs and getting arrested and such, I was building models and 1:1s.... and guess what, all those buddies are still doin that....

Kids come all shapes , all sizes , all ages ...................... Ed Shaver

My beloved Heather, who, at 29, is as big a kid as they come! I, on the other hand, most people will contend, was born ready for social security! :lol:

Chronologically, though, Every so often I'll see kids at hobby shops and other places were kits can be found buying them. A lot of time, I'll see parents, aunts, uncles and grandparents buying, and I'll try to help them as much as I can.

At MassCar, we didn't have a big youth turnout this year, but those that were there were quite enthusiastic. It might never return to the 1950s and '60s in numbers, but I believe the core of enthusiastic participants, regardless of age, will never go away.

I have a fair amount into my shop. A good portion of them because they are children of customers and have watched their parents build them. Few and far between for just kids out of the blue that have had no parental figure that has built them, unless they are a friend of a kid that is.

Nice bright spot I had the other day, kid was into the shop and doing a school project on the Titanic. His Mom was looking for a kit, but when her son saw the kit (100th anniversary Revell edition with lots of extra reproduction stuff pertinent to the Titanic), his eyes lit up. He and his mother were back in the next day to buy some paint (even though she said he needed to do some building before getting to the paint stage), at the same time gave him a flyer to our local show coming up end of May, and again his eyes lit up....nice to bring a new one into the fold!

I try to get as many kids interested in the hobby as I can...today's youth need to create things with their hands, not just press buttons!!!

You are so right about that Jeff!! I guess I'm pretty lucky, my entire family builds models! I try to get kids involved in the hobby all the time. I started a club at our church in 1993 Our Model Is Christ Model Club. It purpose is bring model building to future generations. It also provides spiritual guidance, but building models and having fun is a priority! I can tell you that boys and girls who are now adults still remeber those club meetings and the impact it had on their lives. I love the fact that I can use my love of this great hobby to glorify my God! :)

My family loves building models and my daughters each have 1st place trophies from model shows we have attended! That is so cool as a father to see my children having fun enjoying the same hobby that I do! B)

My girls buy models and now my wife has joined in on the action! Here are a couple photos.

My youngest daughter working so hard on her VW Beetle!

101_0309-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

My oldest daughter working on her Monte Carlo.

101_0308-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

My wife building a Mazda Miata.

101_0307-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Here I am with my youngest applying some decals.

101_0311-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

We had a OMIC club meeting today and we two new members. A father and son building their first model together.

A monster truck.

Guys, be a mentor and share this wonderful hobby with a child!

Edited by Wheels