Model Cars Magazine Forum

I know of one all new model kit to be introduced- The TUCKER

Sounds to me like what we need is a resin caster to step up to the plate and make the parts for a full detail kit for the existing offer, which would still make it a rare piece not unlike the 1:1. Anybody?

Plastic is practically out of my reach right now. Resin definatly is.

Seeing that it is available from two mints, the Modelhaus, from two 1:18 scale diecasters, and several 1:43 manufacturers, I could not possibly care less. The Tucker is more catered for as a model than ever was necessary. Please invest the tooling budget into something less represented in model from.

I have the 1/18, and the ONLY reason I bought it is there is NO plastic kit. I would have far more liked to have spent the money on a plastic kit I could have built myself.

The Tucker would be a great car for a kit . The problem is even if I purchased a case of them to build many different colors that would not cover the cost of the kits for AMT/Revell/Linburg/ or whomever would do this subject.

These were great cars with some flaws like all newer cars of the time . If you look at how the big three used there power to run Tucker under should tell you something . Yes he was on to something .

By the way, if there are any of you out there who have never seen the movie "Tucker: A Man and His Dream," do yourself a favor and see it! On demand, pay-per-view, Netflix, Hulu, whatever... just watch it! Jeff Bridges played Preston Tucker and Francis Ford Coppola directed. It's a great movie and tells you all the stuff regarding the Tucker and the background behind it, how Preston Tucker sold the idea to investors, how the "Big Three" worked with the government to screw him over, etc. A fascinating movie, even if you're not into Tuckers.

One of those milestone cars for automotive enthusiasts that would really be a great subject for a detailed model kit. I would buy several, if a styrene kit or a resin kit.

I would buy this before a 50 Olds, which I personally have no interest in.

Is this a fiberglass copy or is the same group making the convertible?One thing is for sure it is a great car .

Rob Ida was able to use a real Tucker to build molds of the body, and from that he cast (allegedly) 50 copies; just like the original production count. So yes, there are 50 'glass Tuckers out there making 50 owners happy.

6852142140_835498_1576312565_n-vi.jpg

It's kind of like the TV Batmobile. It is what it is, without much room for messing with authenticity. But the new tool Batmobile has been issued as a simple version, followed by a high-detail version. Maybe that's an angle.

Edited by sjordan

It's kind of like the TV Batmobile. It is what it is, without much room for messing with authenticity. But the new tool Batmobile has been issued as a simple version, followed by a high-detail version. Maybe that's an angle.

Now there's an idea! First issue, a basic "snap" kit, followed up with a full detail version. Third version, include photoetch details, and a base that represents the front of a Tucker dealership.

As for the die-cast existence, I have bought plastic kits of cars I already have in diecast. One doesn't prevent me from buying the other, as long as I really want it.

Guest Johnny

It was entered in one race in 1950. It didn't even finish the first lap. So much for Tuckers and racing.

Because of a single weak point that all Tucker owners have experienced at some point and time in their ownership!

So no real reflection of how they may have fared in a race if given the time and work that went into the other makes!

Because of a single weak point that all Tucker owners have experienced at some point and time in their ownership!

So no real reflection of how they may have fared in a race if given the time and work that went into the other makes!

You're right. Tuckers weren't made long enough or in large enough numbers to ever get sorted out enough to be successful as race cars. In fact, that one Tucker that did race (well, tried to!) was probably entered more as a stunt than anything else. After all, Tucker production had stopped two years before that particular car "raced," so there was no factory available for tech support, sponsorship, etc.

By the way, if there are any of you out there who have never seen the movie "Tucker: A Man and His Dream," do yourself a favor and see it! On demand, pay-per-view, Netflix, Hulu, whatever... just watch it! Jeff Bridges played Preston Tucker and Francis Ford Coppola directed. It's a great movie and tells you all the stuff regarding the Tucker and the background behind it, how Preston Tucker sold the idea to investors, how the "Big Three" worked with the government to screw him over, etc. A fascinating movie, even if you're not into Tuckers.

Funny, I've just been watching this, I have it on DVD, and I would buy a few of these if they ever came out in plastic .... what a lovely looking car !!

From the side this thing looks like a predecessor of the nova or chevelle. This car has tons of potential. Don't see why you couldn't do anything to it that hasn't been done to 49get mercs an the like.

Maybe manufacturers could do a what if kind of thing with variants as in what if tucker stayed in business an had different models like a hard top and a convertible etc.

X3!!! I have zero interest in the Tucker..as far as subjects of that era, I'd love to see the '49 Buick Roadmaster Riviera ht or '49 Caddy Coupe de Ville kitted.

-1 I'd love a Tucker. I'd buy enough to build one in each color.

I'll take the Buick and Caddy, too.

Charlie Larkin

Agreed. When I used to teach high school, I used this movie in my economics and general business classes to illustrate the ideas like innovation, government interference, morals, ethics, and how they all interplayed.

The kids generally loved that movie, and it's one of my top 10 favorites.

Charlie Larkin

No possible variations on the Tucker. It never existed as anything other than what came from the factory. We're either going to get a stock Tucker kit... or none at all.

...now, now Harry you seem to be forgetting the popularity of the Donk version or the street machine/pro street Tucker folks and then my all time favorite ... Modified dirt tracker or gasser drag machine...

Serious, I would probably do mine as a "Chip Foose" style Pro Touring car ... if I finished builds that I start!!!