Model Cars Magazine Forum

real life hot rod idea

Weirder things have been done. Your best bet would be to mount the engines side by side and each engine has a bellhousing with a torque converter on it. Then you would have to fabricate a chain or belt drive to tie the two engines to a single transmission, going manual would simplify things immensely. You could even mount the transmission in the rear if you wanted to to offset the weight of two engines up front. Multi engine pulling tractors have used a system like this forever, the benefit being that the torque converters allow the engines to not be perfectly in sync but still pull the vehicle together. You could even drive the vehicle on one engine in an emergency if one died on you.

I have a 38' pontiac straight six. What do u think,about getting a second motor and mounting them sidebyside in a roadster or pick up

If the engine alone is going to measure thirty-eight feet long, how long will the entire vehicle be? :blink::D

'38 = 1938

38' = 38 feet

Multiple engine vehicles are a pain to tune, especially if they a carb'ed, but they do catch your eye. ;)

There's a lot of knowledge on The Jalopy Journal. Here's a thread about exactly what you're asking: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236979&highlight=by+side+engines&showall=1

They also discuss other places to get more answers, like drag boat and vintage dragster sites. There are also threads on tandem twin installations.

Having said all of that, I can't resist putting in my 2 cents. Don't do it. I also like unusual engines. Several years ago I bought a Packard straight-8 out of a car headed for the crusher. I think straight-8 are just the coolest, but a rebuild kit is over 1300 bucks. That's just buying the parts. It's a 925 pound engine that might make 250hp with a supercharger. I'm about to unload it for less than half what I paid. For less than the price of the rebuild kit, I could have a Ford 460 rebuilt with a warranty. I know that tire-shredding hp is not what it's all about, but unless you have loads of cash to put in a super-heavy drivetrain that will not make as much power as a bone-stock Ford 4.6, just go with something more practical. Dreams are cool, but a running car is cooler.

Here is an idea, if anyone has ever seen the show storgewars, that dude barry weis, rolls around some times in an older caddy thats chopped,sectioned(i think) and bagged it's nasty lookin ride, i think there is a utube vid w/ an aussie csamera guy 2. looks like a mid 40;s or so make a niiice ratster,..uhhm dr,c,,lol