Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 chevelle ss demo derby car

]my 6 month project lol. i have been building cars for quite a while n never added to much detail until recently and this is my first car to post on the forum. heres a frew wip pics. n ill keep updating as i go

PICT0991.jpg

PICT0992.jpg

PICT0994.jpg

PICT0993.jpg

removed the fuel tank and flipped it over to make it look like it was removed

heres some more progress pics

PICT1015.jpg

the tires and wheels were cast from carson custom model parts. he takes great car of me for anything i need for my derby cars

PICT1000.jpg

my firest time using rustall and blackwashing anything, i love how it makes the realism better

PICT0999.jpg

the motor is out of an elcamino kit from a friend. i didnt have anything with an auto trans in my parts bin. still waiting on my headers and my dist and wire kit to get here

PICT1019.jpg got the suspension just about complete still gunna add sum support and chains and extra body bolts. and break lines

PICT1016.jpg

i got the tires on and just mocked up a few things

im started on the interior tub a little and cut holes in the door pannels to make them a little more realistic and had to add more to the floor to mke it extend to the firewall. as soon as thats done i have to start on my cage and other stuff heres a preview of what itll look like

PICT1020.jpg

ill put more pics up when i get some more done. any suggestions and comments u have feel free to tell me good or bad

• 3 weeks later...

Carson is a great guy to deal with. The weathering on your frame looks really great. You should check out scale-demo.proboards.com. Its a site mainly for demolition derby models. There is a contest for demolition derby models June 18th if you could get your car done or have others you would like to enter. Its free entry and we are giving away some nice prizes.

Thanks for the compliments. Ill def check out thay forum when I get my internet at home I dnt hace much time to finnish this project this week since im going to the dells wi th h my gf. I was hoping to have it done for model mayham last weekend lol. Atleast I moved closer to a hobby shop so it wont b so hard to get parts

so i got home from work today n my demo car had been dropped it didnt do much but break the front suspension off and a door pannel and the rear shocks. beings i was going to reinforce the rearend i just pulled it out and scratch built to quick shocks up and threw some i beams on the rearend for suport. i also got the cage test fitted and made sure everything would fit and took some pics. i also made a piece for the floor because the interior tub wasnt usable and mocked it up to the firewall and got everything where i want it to be

IMG_20120614_152717.jpg

IMG_20120614_152729.jpg

i may have more photos up tonight and some progress done since im finaly all moved in lol

Edited by camarofreak82_427

well since im on vacation i got a lil bit done today. i got some padding on the cage and a gauge cluster with switches and the fuel cell mounted. i even tries to run brake lines, they turned out okay for my first time. if anyone has any imput let me know ill post some pics up im still waiting on wire so i can wire up the gauge pod and run fuel line and battery cables im kinda stuck at this point, i might try to find small mall screws to make new body mounts today also

IMG_20120618_133538.jpg

IMG_20120618_133555.jpg

IMG_20120618_141747.jpg

That's lookin' really good Brandan ! The overall look is great ! I think the rear springs are a bit to shiney looking tho . They don't match the rest of the chassis . Also , is that chain on the gas can legal ? I can't believe you would be allowed to compete with it the way it is . I've never seen a 1:1 up close so I don't really know much about them .

Keep us updated .

alrite i fixed the chin around the fuel tank and used a strap instead. i ran the fuel line up to the firewall and put my battery box in. the cage is installed also. im letting thigs set up and dry for a lil bit. ill post pics tomaro after i run the wires from my gauges to the battery. i might run into town and get a distributor at the hobby shop so i can continue on the motor.

well i spent most of the day yesterday on the derby car. i added body mount bolts and wired up my gauges. an dfinaly finnished my motor all except for wireing up my starter. its my first time doing wiring to anything and its kinda frustrating lol. i think everything turned out pretty good.

IMG_20120620_192619.jpg

heres the motor all wired up before instalation

IMG_20120620_192637.jpg

heres the cage installed still have to put in the seat and steering wheel its coming along nicely tho

IMG_20120620_192707.jpg

IMG_20120620_192730.jpg

when i installed the cage i installed it to far forward and the body wouldnt fit down over the chassis. so i had to cut out the cowl pannel. it dont look to bad with the hood instlalled i think im just going to leave it the way it is. i dont have any pics yet but ill get them asap sorry for the blurry pics. there from my phone

i got a little bit more done. almost done with the interior. i just have to add a shifter and a start button but other than that its close.

IMG_20120621_162144.jpg

IMG_20120621_163126.jpg

IMG_20120621_163139.jpg

i put the radiator in and put foam padding around and ratchet straps over the radiator. i am waiting for stuff so i can start on the body. im not bending it up im going to leave it no damaged. if u see anything else ud like me to add let me know

IMG_20120621_191828.jpg

IMG_20120621_191702.jpg

Just a suggestion: You might consider some minor body damage. No 45 year old car, especially one with enthusiast interest like an Impala SS that's rough enough to be considered for Demolition Derby duty instead of restoration, would be completely without bumps and scrapes, and probably some rust-out as well. You could also radius the wheel openings some so that they don't cut down the tires as they get battered in the Derby.

Edited by CorvairJim

hey guys i got a ton more done today. i put my shifter inadn put on the coolant hoses and added seatbelts. i like this project more the more i work on it

IMG_20120625_192214.jpg

i also got the body roughed up and added some styrene to the doors.

IMG_20120625_192607.jpg

weathered up the roof a little bit

IMG_20120625_194515.jpg

dropped the body on and glued. i still have to add some small ready rod thro the frame and body if i can find some small enough stuff if anyone knows where i can get it at let me know please

IMG_20120625_203334.jpg

IMG_20120625_203405.jpg

i got another coat of paint on this afternoon n gunna let it dry up tonite and hopfuly one more coat of yellow and another coat of purple will have it. im gunna do an orange or red pin stripe between the two colors with a toothpick to hid most of the imperfections. if it dont work oh well its a demo car. also im going to order the front bumper tonite if i cant find a good one in my parts bucket and going to make a number plate for the top. if u see anything else i should do please tell me anything to make my cars better im willing to try. heres a couple more pics

IMG_20120627_152337.jpg

IMG_20120627_152347.jpg