Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Break-thru for Me!

I'd say the hardest thing about coming back to building models from having a stroke that has left me about 55% paralyzed on my left side is the inability to use my hand to hold things as strong and effectively as I used to. Dave Shuklis, in the 1960'S, (had muscular dystrophy), one of the most amazing pioneers of our hobby, has always been a hero of mine even more so now. than ever I am determined to get well and continue to do the things I love. During my recovery to this day, all the great friends I have met online and in person at the Toledo NNL have encouraged me with inspiring and complimentary words and for this I thank everyone, it helps keep my hope alive. Up until now, my vise grip pliers have been a strong extension to my lefy hand. There are just some things pertaining to small or delicate parts that they just can't do. I've used clamps, tape, two-sided tape, clothes pins and hemastats all to various amounts of success but still just not the answer. One night as I prepared to sleep I focused on this delima, as I have in the past for problems, and used my sub-concious mind to work out the answer...

I woke up the next morning, thinking of "Fun Tack". Where was my little blob of of that sticky clay like substance, sold in the craft stores for hanging pictures and stuff. I've used it for years to test fit parts before gluing but never did it dawn on me that it would literally save my model building life. This stuff is strong and sticky, but not so sticky that it will not let go.

For instance, it is extremely difficult for me to hold an engine block in my left hand and drill the spark plug holes in it with my pin vice. This Buik nailhead engine block is glued to my work table securely until I decide to remove it!

The possibilities are limitless, this is an amazing break-thru for me!

breakthru.jpg

I thought I had a big problem when my eyes started going bad and was about ready to give it up about 10 years ago, glad I didn't! We have several, so called, handicapped in our club, this is what keeps us going! I'm not handicapped by any means. Figuring out how to do this different is what we do. :wub: I love this hobby and as I can tell, so do you!