Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

"American" cars?

Our cars are globall sourced. A lot of folks are surprized as to where their cars came from. I remember back in the 80's, Japanese manufacturers has a hard time selling their American built couterparts. Some folks deemed ther Honda Accord, or Toyota Camry "inferior" if it were built in the U.S., and some unscrupulous dealers took advantage of that customer by marking up, or not discounting the "Japanese built" Japanese car. Some foks were shocked when they found out their beloved Caprice, Crown Victoria, or Chrysler was built in Mexico. I prefer to buy American wherever I can, but if the car I like is built elsewhere, I am not going to sweat it.Here is a simple solution. Look at the first number of the V.I.N. on your car. If it is a 1, 4, or5 it is of U.S. manufacture. 2 is Canada, 3 is Mexico, J is Japan, K is Korea, W is Germany, S is Engiand, 9 is Brazil, 6 is Austraillia, Z is Italy, Y is Sweeden, V is France. Cars are built around the world with components sourced from different countries.

My 2001 nissan maxima has 285,000 miles on it, still going , yes I am having some issues with right now, some of the things that went wrong are something that the 2001-2002 maximas are known to have happen .

While I am proud to be an american, I don't care where the stuff is made, as long as it last long enough to get my moneys worth out lf it.

There is one thing we all over look, the reason why American company's have their products made in other county's, and that is because the cost of doing business has got very High here, and we(the American people ) demand lower prices on the stuff we buy. And let's not forget the pay rates the workers (unions) demand , so company's are left with a choice, either raise the cost of the products and there for the greedy CEO's will not make as much money, or have the products made for less in other county's.

bottom line is this, the only thing American about ford and Chevy , is where the companys headquarters are.

I find it funny, all the Japanese bashing, but yet they employee American workers to build their cars on american soil, and that in part is helping out the American people .

Edited by martinfan5

this topic is redundant considering where our models are made

That was a point I wanted to post awhile ago, but just let it go because of the actual topic. Anyway...this whole topic boils down to, what is an American brand car, but in a name anymore. And to throw my car in the mix...a 2007 Hyundai Sonada. 60%+ parts made in Korea and Japan, the rest sourced from other countries, and assembled in Montgomery, AL. I was one of those people that swore I'd NEVER buy a foreign car, but after Chevrolet wouldn't stand by their product, I came to terms and realized that there are much better vehicles out there and there is no such thing as a 100% "American Made" vehicle anymore. What sold me on my Sonada was the 180 Hyundai did on everyone around '05-'06 from junk throwaway cars to competeing in the world market of quality vehicles and offering an excellent warranty. I've had the car for 5 years and have only had to do routine maintenance...oil changes, lube, air filter, tires. Haven't had to do any brake work yet. I'm definately happy with the car.

I don't care where they make it it is an import if the profit is going out of the country!

That is an incorrect statement. Most of the profits from American sales of the American produced Japanese branded vehicles actually stays in the USA. Much of it goes to keeping the plants up to date and employee benefits/wages. I have inside information on that.

That was a point I wanted to post awhile ago, but just let it go because of the actual topic. Anyway...this whole topic boils down to, what is an American brand car, but in a name anymore. And to throw my car in the mix...a 2007 Hyundai Sonada. 60%+ parts made in Korea and Japan, the rest sourced from other countries, and assembled in Montgomery, AL. I was one of those people that swore I'd NEVER buy a foreign car, but after Chevrolet wouldn't stand by their product, I came to terms and realized that there are much better vehicles out there and there is no such thing as a 100% "American Made" vehicle anymore. What sold me on my Sonada was the 180 Hyundai did on everyone around '05-'06 from junk throwaway cars to competeing in the world market of quality vehicles and offering an excellent warranty. I've had the car for 5 years and have only had to do routine maintenance...oil changes, lube, air filter, tires. Haven't had to do any brake work yet. I'm definately happy with the car.

Maybe after all this time, and seeing how happy you are with the car, you need to get the name right. Sonata. ;)

Wow, this topic the inner souls. I found it ironic at the american steel company where I was employeed for 30 years that coworkers would complain about foreign autos yet they all had money invested in international funds intheir 401's. We sold more steel to Toyota and Honda than the big three combined. They saved us from bankruptcy. They were also much more professional in dealing with quality issues than the big three.

99% of American car buyers want a car that has all the latest gadgetry, and a warranty. Not only do they not know how to work on a car, they have no interest in doing that. Guys who can buy an old car and make it their daily driver make up a microscopic segment of the car buying public.

I happily drove a succession of 100% American Corvairs for nearly three decades. I bought a brand new (Lordstown, Ohio-built) 2006 Chevy Cobalt SS in September of 2005 because I couldn't bear the thought of putting my nearly rust-free 1966 Monza through another winter of Pennsylvania road salt. I liked the idea of having that new-car warranty, something I'd never had before. Besides, doesn't everybody deserve a shiny new, bright red sport coupe with a slick-shifting stick shift and a sunroof at least once in their life? Bad mistake. Shortly after buying the Cobalt, our household finances went south in a big way. My overtime, which had been averaging 8-10 hours a week, completely dried up. My wife went out of work on disability, and our employer, the U.S.P.S., decided to fight paying her for it. She only was able to go on full disability retirement about 4 months ago. Anyhow, the payments on the Cobalt were driving us to the poorhouse. It got to the point where we were three months behind on our mortgage. We were so upside-down on the Cobalt's note that selling it wasn't an option, so I had to take up a friend of mine on a standing offer he had given me on my Corvair. In 20/20 hindsight, what it boils down to is that we just should have saved the money that the Cobalt cost us and gotten another good-running Corvair as a winter beater!

Older cars are dead-simple to work on, and they attract all sorts of attention. For the price of a 4-6 year old Focus, Corolla or Sentra, you can get an above average, good running, clean, and solid (although maybe not show-quality) "nice" car from the 1970's or 80's. Something along the lines of a Monte Carlo, Regal, El Camino, Cadillac DeVille, or 5.0 Mustang (NOT something like a Corvette or Trans Am, although even those cars are fairly affordable too). Park one of these 1970's-80's cars next to a clapped-out 6 year old Subaru Impreza and see which one gets the attention!

Well said Jim!

I have never owned a new car. Ever! One, a minivan that was only 2 years old, was the newest. But we paid cash for it and it cost very little over the next 8 years.

My current car I have about six grand into and no payments to make. I paid up the insurance for 6 months so the only costs these last 3 months has been fuel. And that's it!

Sure there are a few things I need to fix and a couple of rattles that bug me. But nothing life threatening or dangerous and I totally agree with you about getting attention!

The car I had before this was a '90 Ford Taurus. Talk about a car nobody sees. It was totally hidden and I could leave it unlocked with the keys in it for 8 hours and nobody messed with it. But there too it only cost me three grand to buy and ran for over 10 years requiring less than a couple hundred in repairs and maintenance during that time. Once again, no payments to make at all other than insurance which eventually totally eclipsed the value of the car in the time I owned it. (I traded artwork for a set of used Pirelli tires one time so that doesn't count.)

But, back to the original post... the Taurus was not totally made in the USA. I found parts on it made in Canada, Mexico, Japan and Indonesia. Plus any sensor I had to replaced usually came from China.

We are a global economy now. So what's the big deal?

I've had a mix of American (Ford, Jeep, Cadillac) and import (BMW, Mercedes) cars and SUVs over the last 25+ years of driving...been happy w/ my choices overall..some had more issues than others. Had a mix of new and used, for a daily driver I'd rather stick w/ late model cars for the reliablity and features.

Thanks, Jairus. My Cobalt SS was my first brand-new car, and it WILL be my last. We've bought a couple of new cars for my wife over the years as the main family car, but that was even before we got my Cobalt. She's going to have to make do with used from here on out too. Her current car, a 2005 Chevy Malibu Maxx hatchback, only has about 80,000 miles on it, so it's got plenty of good years and miles left in it. And that car has been paid off for a few years now.

An addendum to my prior post: Don't get me wrong, even though I'm 'stuck' with a 6 1/2 year old car that is finally close to being paid off, I do enjoy some of the amenities it has. The AM/FM/CD/XM radio unit, for instance... Oh, yeah, I installed one of those in the Corvair - under the dash using existing screw holes. And I really like the air conditioning too... But wait, open up the vent windows and kick panel vents in a Corvair or virtually ANY car from the 50's or 60's and you just don't need a/c unless you're trapped in bumper-to-bumper traffic, in which case you'd be likely to overheat your engine if you're running your a/c full time anyway! Then there's the sunroof. I love the sunroof in my 'Balt on nice sunny days when it's not sweltering hot... but a Corvair convertible in great condition, with an entire roof that goes away - not just one small panel - would have cost half as much! The power steering and brakes are nice to have in a 3,000 lb car... Don't need 'em in a 2,600 lb Corvair. Not much weight over the front wheels so steering is nice and easy even at parking lot speeds, and the 4-wheel drum brakes lifted directly from the Chevelle parts bin are perfectly capable of hauling the car to a stop from 60 mph in 144 ft. - with 1960's technology brake shoes. (Period road tests listed the 1965 Corvair as having the 3rd-best braking available in America, behind only the Corvette - by 3 feet - and the Porsche 911 - by a single foot! Jaguar, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Austin Healey, Triumph, MG... All worse. Most of those cars have 4-wheel discs... ) With modern brake linings and tires, braking distances today are even shorter.

Most cars from the 70's and 80's have all of the 'modern amenities' that 21st century American drivers have come to expect, with the possible exception of easily retrofitted sound systems (A note to Harry: I'll try to make sure that I buy AMERICAN sound systems for any used cars I buy in the future! :D). OBD II diagnostic systems are great for modern cars where an ordinary shade tree mechanic doesn't have a clue which computer system crapped out this time around, but those older cars generally didn't have computers in the firt place, or if they did, there weren't nearly as many of them! I read somewhere that my Cobalt SS has more computing capacity than my home computer, and needs it to run properly. Scary.

Guest Johnny

That is an incorrect statement. Most of the profits from American sales of the American produced Japanese branded vehicles actually stays in the USA. Much of it goes to keeping the plants up to date and employee benefits/wages. I have inside information on that.

Now that IS a load of BS and you buy into that???

Trying to start something Johnny? So refute it with facts or don't bother to post!

This is the exact posting that generates so much controversy and ill will on this forum. Instead of attacking the writer, why don't you ask for proof? Or better yet, search out your own information.

It makes perfect sense that the Mercedes factory in Tuscaloosa Alabama would leave a huge percentage of $ on these shores due mostly to employing American workers! The lions share of a cars cost is the people who put them together thanks to the unions. So.... I again ask you to kindly and in a polite way post your opinions and facts or don't bother posting at all please.

why are some of you guys talking like Canada is some third world country using child labour to build inferior car and or car parts.other than some closed minded comments in this topic it sure is intresting

That's how the forum works, a large number of members make xenophobic statements regardless that its a global forum.

why are some of you guys talking like Canada is some third world country using child labour to build inferior car and or car parts.other than some closed minded comments in this topic it sure is intresting

The thread was talking about how "American" cars are made in other countries, Canada included. Nobody called cars made in Canada inferior.

That's how the forum works, a large number of members make xenophobic statements regardless that its a global forum.

Wow... :rolleyes:

(A note to Harry: I'll try to make sure that I buy AMERICAN sound systems for any used cars I buy in the future! :D).

I think you misunderstand my stance on the "American car/foreign car" debate. I have no problem with "foreign" cars. I've owned both domestic and Japanese cars (but never a Honda or Toyota).

I haven't seen even one post on this entire thread where anyone said anything about Canadian-built cars being inferior or slamming Canada in any way.

You sure you're reading the same posts the rest of us are reading?

Hahaha that's funny Harry.

Personally I love our neighbors to the north. I think they make some great stuff and brew some nice wiskey too. Beer.... ah, not so much.

But, back to the subject at hand.

Did some research on manufacturing cars in America and it seems it only costs between $1250 - $2500 per unit to manufacture an automobile in America. That is just the actual building costs.

Development is another factor and that can run from a couple million to multi-millions depending on the make and model.

I may have been hasty to say that the bulk of manufacturing costs remain in America. Each model made here would have to be examined on their own. But the truth is that it must have been cheaper for the company to make a Mercedes M3 in Tusklasooa Al. or the bean counters in Germany would have built the plant elsewhere. And THAT provides jobs for American workers and is good for the country at large. Better than shipping them over here on container ships in my opinion and fleecing the rich on yet another foreign car no better than a Chrysler or Ford. (In my opinion.)

Harry,its just that some posts said american cars containing canadian made parts,along with other "off shore" countries.I know canada is foreign to the u.s.,but u.s. automakers get the profits.complaining about a canadian made part in your american car doesn't make sense.SORRY for over reacting

Edited by mistermodel

Harry,its just that some posts said american cars containing canadian made parts,along with other "off shore" countrys.I know canada is forgion to the u.s.,but u.s. automakers get the profits.complaining about a canadian made part in your american car doesnt make sense.SORRY for over reacting

Once again, nobody was complaining about Canadian cars or parts! The whole point of this thread is the "American" car vs. "Foreign car" label and what that exactly means... that a lot of "American" cars are actually made in Canada and Mexico, and a lot of "Japanese" cars are made in America!

And yes, here in the US, Canada is a foreign country. Just like the US is a foreign country as far as Canadians are concerned. But there's no negative connotation meant... Canada is America's best ally in the world, and its biggest trading partner. And we share an unguarded border that's thousands of miles long. You guys are a foreign country, but our best friends!

Wow... I'm willing to bet a large portion of the replies to this post were hammered out on a foreign sourced computer while wearing sneakers made in, well...that's the point. Our world is changing.

Interesting points made by some. Some rude. Some pointless. Bottom line is we like what we like. I recently sold my `74 Dodge Dart 2dr. daily driver I was suffering with. It was Brown metallic w/ tan interior. Nice, clean car that I always received compliments on. But the slant 6 lost quite a few of it's original 90 horses... and the lack of A/C made it miserable in commuter traffic. And the gas mileage was in the 14-17MPG range for mixed driving. As cool as it was to drive an "old" car, I sold it and bought a loaded 2 owner `99 Maxima. A/C, ABS, Cruise, CD-Satellite,Sun Roof,Alloys. Hard to beat. And 22 MPG is a nice step up too. In a year or so I'm sure I'll change it up again, but boy-oh-boy that Maxima is bulletproof....

As for money staying in this country, forget it. Where do you think banks and investment firms spend? All of our investments & 401K's are working a global market (trying to...) make us a profit. No one complains when they receive an annuity or cash out, do they? And yes, I've spent my entire professional career working for foreign businesses. 11 yrs. with Porsche/Audi & the last 20+ yrs. with Nissan/Infiniti. And if you REALLY want to start talking trash about this brand is junk or that counrty whatever, let me state a fact: Infiniti & Nissan assembly cars & trucks in Tennessee. The most problematic models are the stateside vehicles. So bad they stated building the Infiniti QX56 & Nissan Quest back in Japan.... Ouch.

We're all in this together. Learn to swim.