Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

R.I.P. Ernest Borgnine

Guest Johnny

I'm still waiting to hear who Lucy's neighbor was...

20120629__BW_PN30-OBITSINGLET+PC6VKGT_300.JPGActress who played neighbor on 'I Love Lucy' dies at age 92

By Wire reports

Published: 6/30/2012 2:06 AM

Last Modified: 6/30/2012 5:14 AM

Actress Doris Singleton, who played one of Lucy and Ricky Ricardo's lesser-known neighbors on "I Love Lucy," died Tuesday. She was 92.

Singleton's character, first called Lillian Appleby and then Caroline Appleby, appeared in 10 episodes. She was Lucy's neighbor, the wife of a radio station owner.

"She was sort of Lucy's nemesis" because both had young sons, Singleton said in a 2005 interview for the Archive of American Television of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Foundation. "There was a rivalry there, but she had to be nice, Lucy had to be nice to Caroline, because her husband owned the radio station."

Fred and Ethel Mertz, played by William Frawley and Vivian Vance, were the Ricardos' closest friends on the show. Frawley died in 1966 and Vance in 1979.

On set, Lucille Ball was nice to Singleton, but she was tough when it came to the show.'

Actors were replaced "if she didn't like you or you made a mistake or you flopped," Singleton said.

"It was a very difficult show to work; it was challenging," she said, with only a few days of rehearsal and constant script changes.

Singleton also played Margaret Williams on the 1960s sitcom "My Three Sons" and she appeared on dozens of other television shows in the 1950s, '60s and '70s, including another Lucille Ball program, "Here's Lucy," "Perry Mason," "All in the Family," and "Days of Our Lives."

It's sad watching the passings of the greats I grew up watching. I guess that's because the rise of mass entertainment since the early 20th Century has created so many famous people. Although there are lots of great actors/actresses today, there seem to be far fewer performers now with the power, style and charisma of past stars, whose talents and roles could be inspiring. I just watched a pretty bad western the other day (Heaven With a Gun), which made me appreciate what a fine actor Glenn Ford was in spite of the material, as were many others of the era.

E.B. was a natural, you always believed the caractor he was playing. I saw him interviewed recently and I marveled at how vibrant he seemed at 95, sort of like Jack LaLayne, surprising that they didn't make the big 1 0 0.