Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would you do?

I purchased a Testors Pro Street Rambler off ebay a few days ago, at a cost of 16.07 , shipping wasnt specified, but NOWHERE does it say "no international shipping" so I got an invoice, with a total of $11.00 for shipping, which was promptly paid via paypal. I am located in Saskatchewan , Canada, and he is located in San Bernadino, California

3 days later I get this email:

"The shipping quoted in the add was for US domestic flat rate box. Same box to Saskatchewan, Canada is $39.95 plus $3 for tracking. I specifically put no international shipping on the listing. I need $31.95 more to ship to you. This is why I said no international shipping. Tracking is a must on international shipping so that I know you received the package."

To be honest, I just bought 2 more of these kits, and one shipped from North Carolina @ a rate of $5.75 and one from Mesa, California for $6.02, I refuse to pay $31.00 more. I dont care much about a negative feedback, because I will appeal it, as I do not believe that I am in the wrong at all.

what is everyones thoughts on what I should/ could do?

Edited by mademan

Ebay is now all about the buyer; they do monitor direct communications through ebay; simply open a case with ebay; and I would certainly think think that ebay will be on your side. if the buyer did not stipulate; or offered shipping at a flat rate, that is HIS problem. Simply ask ebay to cancel the transaction and paypal will refund you pretty quick; then you can buy the kit from a more reputable seller.............Matt

Just have Seller issue a refund of your original purchase price and move on. If he sent you an invoice and that amount was paid, he has no grounds on which to raise price, nor you obligation to pay. Obviously, this was just a mistake all around. International shipping policy should have been specified and he should have looked at your shipping address more closely prior to sending an invoice. You should have been aware that shipping internationally would be more expensive and checked prior to bidding.

Tracking does not in all cases 'stop at the border,' which appears to be a common myth on this and many sites. International tracking is available, but only with certain shipping options and price rises significantly. Tracking does not have to be done directly by the USPS - it can also be done by the receiving postal authority as the USPS does reciprocally for others.

Finally, the Seller cannot leave a Buyer negative feedback in this case.

Click on the "Shipping & payments" tab and you'll see it states: Shipping to: United States

From the listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

Shipping and handling

Item location: San Bernardino, California, United States

Shipping to: United States

Change country:

Sorry, but the seller is right on this one. He clearly stated he ships to the U.S only, so you should not have bid.

Politely tell the seller that this was a mistake on your part,and ASK for a refund. I honestly don't understand all the angst(?) over ebay. I have over 1100 transactions,100% positive feedback, and actually have ASKED if I could bid on items with the stipulation that I would not be able to pay until a certain date,many times way beyond ebays rules.!

Click on the "Shipping & payments" tab and you'll see it states: Shipping to: United States

From the listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

Shipping and handling

Item location: San Bernardino, California, United States

Shipping to: United States

Change country:

Sorry, but the seller is right on this one. He clearly stated he ships to the U.S only, so you should not have bid.

where does it state NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING? over 3/4 of the stuff that I buy is exactly like this listing, generally never says to canada. I think the seller just didnt get what he wanted, and wants more money, plain and simple. I can guarentee you that this box will show up at my door and the shipping price on the label will be under 10.00

also, international shipping charges being higher is a myth also, for a model to be sent from california to me under 5.00US, for me to put the exact model into the same box and send it to california.... $17.00 Canadian. Like I said, i have another of this same kit, shipped from the same general location for 32.00 less than what this seller wants.

Edited by mademan

where does it state NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING? over 3/4 of the stuff that I buy is exactly like this listing, generally never says to canada. I think the seller just didnt get what he wanted, and wants more money, plain and simple. I can guarentee you that this box will show up at my door and the shipping price on the label will be under 10.00

also, international shipping charges being higher is a myth also, for a model to be sent from california to me under 5.00US, for me to put the exact model into the same box and send it to california.... $17.00 Canadian. Like I said, i have another of this same kit, shipped from the same general location for 32.00 less than what this seller wants.

You're right, it doesn't state "no international shipping" however it's pretty much implied when the only country he lists that he ships to is the United States. I'm in Canada too. I never would have bid on that item without first contacting the seller to see if he'd ship to Canada and at what cost.

It states where he will ship to, not where he won't ship to, and it only lists the U.S. You didn't read carefully enough, and missed that he only ships to the U.S. You made a mistake, so be honest and let him know you missed the fact that he only ships to the U.S. and you'd like a refund.

You can ship with no tracking to Canada with USPS for around ten to twelve dollars, I shipped three packages in the last few months and this was the range for all of them. If you want international tracking USPS charges $40 for it regardless of the size of the box. As far as the auction goes it does state US only, a lot of small sellers have problems shipping out of the country since tracking is prohibitively expensive all the buyer has to do in claim they didn't get the package and they walk away with the kit and their money.

Simply ask ebay to cancel the transaction and paypal will refund you pretty quick; then you can buy the kit from a more reputable seller

A "more reputable" seller?

The seller clearly stated his shipping information, and he has 100% positive feedback. How is he not a reputable seller?

Bumping the shipping up from $11 to $39 isn't very reputable IMO. It doesn't cost that much more to ship a kit to Canada. It may cost $2-$3 more to ship to Canada,but it certainly doesn't cost $28 more.

Do you know that for a fact?

The seller clearly stated in his listing that shipping was $11 to the United States. No international shipping was offered. Seems to me it was the buyer who tried to change the terms, not the seller.

Bumping the shipping up from $11 to $39 isn't very reputable IMO. It doesn't cost that much more to ship a kit to Canada. It may cost $2-$3 more to ship to Canada,but it certainly doesn't cost $28 more.

USPS shipping rates to Canada. This is the official USPS site. Again, seller was correct.

http://ircalc.usps.gov/MailServices.aspx?country=10054&m=6&p=2&o=0

The seller never wanted to ship outside the U.S in the first place! He's covering his backside AND going out of his way to offer USPS Priority International shipping to someone who didn't read the terms of the listing, and now wants the seller to accommodate him. The seller is going beyond what is required in this case. It is the buyer whom is not reputable.

I have shipped a lot of items to Canada via Airmail and it costs about the same as shipping Priority to the US. Even $11. shipping that this guy was charging to the US is exorbitant.

Click the link in my previous post.

"shipping that this guy was charging to the US is exorbitant."

This thread is starting to read like SB1070... What part of ships to U.S. doesn't someone understand?

THIS SELLER DID NOT WANT TO SHIP INTERNATIONALLY IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!SHEESH :wacko::mellow::(:rolleyes: