Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMC Gremlin Drag Car. Update 9-11-12

cobraman

My next little project will be the AMC Gremlin. I have heard a bunch of negative stuff about this kit but thought I would give it a try, We all like a challenge don't we ? I lookedgremlin1001.jpggremlin1003.jpg at the parts it doesn't look all that bad. I did notice the seats seem to be very narrow, very narrow. Since it won't be a stock build I will raid the parts box that looks more of a normal width ( if it will fit in the interior bucket ). Not sure where I will be going with this build. I sometimes just like to start a model and see where it takes me. I do know I want to try and make it a drag car that a backyard mechanic might build.

Edited by cobraman

I just bought one of these last week , and am looking forward to building it .

I'm going to mention only the positive aspects of this reissue :

- Two sets of 'glass' (love the option of tinted !) ;

- Gorgeous drag slicks ;

- Nice decal set ;

- Building options ;

- It's not a $100.00+ ebay purchase !!

I'm thinking of building it with the "Go Package" 4 Bbl setup , the headers , the "functional" Thrush side pipes , custom wheels ( maybe the kit's Cragar S/S , but am not sure) and a mild custom colour ; and yes , those tombstone seats will have to go !

Hopefully A.M.C. powered.

Yep, absolutely.

This is gonna be very nice build. I've been looking for this kit too for a while, even if it might be bit poor quality, it's very interesting subject and cool little car.

I'm sure this'll be very nice when finished.

Small update here. The front body panel / grill suround does not fit well. It is too wide. If you stretch the fenders to get it to fit then the hood doesn't fit right. I am just going to add some strips under the fenders to support the hood and hopefully make it look like a more proper fit. I filled the holes in the engine block and oil pan since I won't be using the metal axel. I dechromed the bumpers as they will be body colored. May try and get them closer to the body. I also made a rear spoiler/wing from some sheet plastic. The spoiler/wing may or may not make it onto the car not sure if I like it or not. It may be a bit large. Thanks for looking.

emlin2001.jpgemlin2002.jpgemlin2003.jpg

Since its such a small car l noticed on my kit also will those slicks fit under it?? l have not figured out if l will even build mine or not..

I think I can massage the slicks under if I don't go too low. I may have to narrow up the rear end or saw off a portion of the axel stub on the wheel. I really don't want to put the work into this one that would be required to get it as low as I would like. You know how it goes....you can never change just one thing. If you change one thing you will probably also have to change 2 others. Thats normally the fun stuff but I just don't feel like putting that much work into this one as I said.

Got a little futher along on the Gremlin. Using pretty much parts from the box with no special detailing. I did swap the seats because the stock ones just look silly. I still need to decal the body and clear coat it and BMF the winddow trim. Just a little more assembly for the chassis. One thing I may have screwed up on is painting the body forgetting to do a final mock up. I rushed to paint it before making sure I had the right clearance to fit the slicks in without having the rear end jacked up. If it doesn't fit now I don't want to have to mess with the body since it is painted. I will just have to keep my fingers crossed I guess. Thanks for looking.

gremlin3002.jpggremlin3003.jpggremlin3004.jpg

Looking GREAT !

That 304-360-401 / Torque Command 8 duo looks NICE ! I'm glad that Round2 included headers in this kit (unlike the original-issue Matador ! ) ; Good call , guys !

I hope that the rear tyres clear the wheel arches as well ...

* I forgot to mention how in love I am with the "Michigan '76" plates that AMT included in their kits during their original period . Best looking plates in 1:1 , in my opinion ! *

Thanks Bill. This really a pretty cool little kit. Only a couple of problems so far. As I said in another post the front bucket seats are very narrow. Eaisly fixed with a trip to the parts box. The other problem I had was with the headers. They come so far below the frame that even with the whels mounted they were hitting the ground. Not having a set that would work in my parts box I had to cut them back till they cleared.

Thank you guys. John, I may pump them out fairly quick but as to the great results........ not so much. My models would not belong in the same room with the high quality models some of you build. Derrick, my inspiration was that little white Gremlin you did as a slot car body.