Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Putty

Hello guys.

I would really like to know if there is a secret in applying Tamiya Putty onto cars?

As when i apply a coat with my fingers to a side guard of a car, It seems to not be able to sculpt etc.

( Seems to dry too quick ) I have tried some water on my finger tips without any luck also.

So can someone here lend a hand it helping me out ?

What is the easiest way to apply Tamiya putty .

Thanks

Looking forward to your reply

:angry:

I've used it, but found it a little hard to sand as well. What I do is use enough of the Tamiya for the main shape, then scuff it with rough sand paper, then do my final filling and sanding with 3-M Spot putty. I prefer the 3-M Acryl-Blue or Green over the red, they seem to dry better and faster.

It would help to know which Tamiya putty you are using. They make three very different kinds. Only the 2-part epoxy putty would work like modeling clay and be helped w/water for shaping. They also have a traditional style (gray), and a UV-light-curing putty.

For the Tamiya 'basic' 1-part putty, I use my handy-dandy X-Acto #1 handle and an old #11 blade to apply it. I keep a small stash of 'too-dull-for-regular-use' #11 blades just for that reason.

Hello Dave

The basic putty is for small repairs /filling etc. If you are using this as a scupting putty there are much beter products available. Such as milliputty orr evenTamiyas 2 part epoxy putty I myself have not used Tamiya 2 part epoxy putty someone here could tll you more on that. Also the basic putty has a good amount of shrinking you may want to use something that has alot less or even no shrinking to it. Just my 2cents.

I get my Milliput at my Local Hobby shop which stocks it. It should be available at any place that has a good stock of military model supplies, The figure guys use a lot of it too.

Try squadron.com I just checked and they stock it. It comes in 4 grades from really fine grained to coarser. I use the cheaper stuff and seems fine to me. I think the guys who are sculpting figures like the more expensive finer stuff. It's all good.

Hello Dave

The basic putty is for small repairs /filling etc. If you are using this as a scupting putty there are much beter products available. Such as milliputty orr evenTamiyas 2 part epoxy putty I myself have not used Tamiya 2 part epoxy putty someone here could tll you more on that. Also the basic putty has a good amount of shrinking you may want to use something that has alot less or even no shrinking to it. Just my 2cents.

I really don't do any major sculpting, just small repairs and filling....the basic putty is indeed good for that. I just use the #11 to apply it as it's much more precise than a fingertip; I can really make sure it gets into small crevices and such.