Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dale Earnhardt - Year ?

hooterville75

No problem. My bad for thinking you had it on hand. The Monte aerocoupe was introduced the same year as the Pontiac 2+2 aerocoupe. Unfortunately noone ever released the Pont in a kit except resin. Other kits with this body are the Tim Richmond and stock street. I believe there was also a Wrangler version but i'm not sure.

I just got a older Kit of Richard Petty of a All Petty Blue car from back in like the early days of his career, don't know the exact date of the car without going to get the kit but I would LOVE to find an affordable kit of the Super bird (think that's what its called :D) with the big wing in the back of Petty. I'm brand new to scale model building and would like to brand out into Aircraft and Armor as well but the only kit I've completed to this point is the McDonalds #94 Bill Elliot kit. I bought a nice lot of Nascar models off Evilbay. After searching the Nascar kits available, I'm really gaining a huge interest in building nothing but those. Their is so many Nascar kits available its unreal. So as of now I'm going to work on finishing my Nascar kits with who knows what will happen when that time comes lol. I may never get to Aircraft and Armor kits ha ha.

If it's an all Petty blue car it's most likely the 1964 Belvedere or the 1969 Torino. There are several schools of thought on the Superbird, which Plymouth devised to lure Richard back from the Ford camp after an argument he had with them over his desire to race the Charger Daytona.

Basically there's two choices here. There's the Jo-Han kit, which most folks feel has the more accurate body but is lacking in the chassis department. Most builders will use the body from the Jo-Han kit and a chassis from the AMT 1968 Roadrunner kit.

Then theres the Revell kit. It's considered a half decent replica but is a full street car with a molded in vinyl roof that needs removal. Cage, interior, engine and chassis details need to be sourced. Even so, up against the venerable Jo-Han kit it's the more economical solution. With the Revell body (reworked) and a Monogram NASCAR Ford chassis and a Hemi engine a fairly convincing stocker can be built, although deletion of some of the roll cages components is necessary.

That can't be a '86, Earnhardt didn't get the Good wrench car til '88, up until then he had the Wrangler car.

This is correct. Earnhardt went into the black Goodwrench car in '88 with the silver 3's. From '89 on he ran the white 3's. The box may say '86 but that maybe some licensing date or such. Also too, the decals that come with the kit are not correct. Mike's Decals sells the correct sheet and they are beautiful. I'm building this same car right now. Just a little more info for ya. Happy building :)

Edited by JustBill

The Areo Monte came out in 86 and you could get it in 87 also. This promped them to also able to run it if they wanted in 88 and that is why you do see a few pics of the GW #3 car as the areo and also you can find the areo Wrangler car. They did make a 1989 Monte Carlo as this was the last year it was built untill the new one came out in 95. Dale did run a sliver #3 in 89 also as the only 4 stickers was diffrent from the 88 to 89 car and they did how ever add a braker black strip between the red and sliver part of the strip in 89 some time in the middle of the year.