Model Cars Magazine Forum

Buck Baker's 57 Chevy Black Widow

Tommy Kortman

Since I've got a work bench again, I can get back to building. After starts and stops, I was able to make signifigant progress on Revell's 57 Chevy Black Widow. I am using Power Slide Decals to replicate Buck Baker's Championship winning car.

Take a look.

Using the 57 Chevy stock car guide as a refrence, I started by modifying the chassis. This included boxing in the lower control arms, and the upper frame in front of the upper control arms.

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

I am adding dual shocks to the rear. Here it is almost finished. Still have to add some paint details and the shock mounts...and shocks.

photo-vi.jpg

The body has been painted, polished, and BMF'ed. The paint was Tamiya. The white is the white primer, and the black is their semi-gloss black. (It's what I had in stock at the time. I actually prefer to shoot flat paint as opposed to gloss bacause ti doesn't have the same tendency to run as easily. I then cleared it with Testors Wet Look clear. It was polished with Maguire's Scratch X. I did not go for a perfect mirror finish. I purposely left a little orange peel in the paint, because these were factory paint jobs, not show finishes. Using photo refrence, I foiled as accurately as possible.

photo-vi.jpg

The notch under the door is for the exhaust pipe.

photo-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everybody. I was able to make some more progress this weekend.

Working on the chassis:

photo2-vi.jpg?1349754380

I still have to add some details like the extra straps on the gas tank, but it's getting there.

photo1-vi.jpg?1349754417

Also started playing with some decals.

photo1-vi.jpg?1349754537

Ok. now we get to the stance. First, if you use the Plasic Performance wheels and tires, you will have to make some modifications for tire clearance. I had to thin the inside of the rear wheelwells. (This was a little anxious because the body is just about finished.) Just go slow so as to not build up too much heat in the plastic. Used a Dermel with a sanding drum. I also shaved down the wheel backs, and clipped off the "stock" wheel mount pins. I opened up the wheels backs with a 5/32 drill bit and the wheels slid right over the larger bosses at the axles.

Here's how she sits now. I am thinking about dropping the nose just a touch. 1/8" at the most.

photo-vi.jpg?1349754919

Should I drop it?