Model Cars Magazine Forum

"CRANKENSTIEN"(a small tribute to the "doc") DONE! 11/13/12

bryan_m

the drivers side and the rear have been weathered........im tryin not to gunk this one up too much, so its basically just dirt! with a little grease around the right parts, and a touch of rust..

photo3-vi.jpg

photo2-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

more to come, lemme know what ya think!

bryan

speaking of rotted out junk! LOL ok well not rotted out........ here is my next project. i have had this body done for a while, and i now have the kit coming to finish it. there are no holes in it, its just all surface rust.... its gonna be a forgotten gasser.....

photo-vi.jpg

im not sure what im going to do to the engine and frame yet, but it wont be totally rusted out, probably light rust, and lots of gunk on the drivetrain...... lookin like it has been sitting outside under a tarp for a very long time!

this one is comin soon..........tune in then.

bryan

how do people simulate rust stains i wanna try some time. oh and great work

jake, do you mean the streaks? or just the spots?

the streaks i make by thinning out some rust colored paint, usually raw sienna, and i take a very thin brush and just touch it on there where i want the streak.....blow downward on it, or you can also use one of those cans of "duster", i usually use a hair drier......

when i get to the other side of this, ill make sure i take a few pics of my process so you can see what i mean.....

bryan

yea Ray, you should! once you do you`ll never go back! hey even shiney cars have dirt on them somewhere right?

i know once i started weathering, thats all i wanted to do.... dont get me wrong, i loce shiney cars too, but theres just something about it i really enjoy..

cheers

bryan

here ya go Jake, heres how i make "streaks"

heres the thinned out "raw sienna"

photo4-vi.jpg

just touch a small brush where you want it to start.......

photo5-vi.jpg

taake the brush and drag it straight down..........very lightly...

photo-vi.jpg

then i hit it extra lightly with some rust powder.......and thats that buddy......a nice long rust streak that took about 5 minutes.

photo-vi.jpg

hope this helped ya!

bryan

well, here we go......... its now an official "Dr.cranky" tribute build! hope ya like it virgil!

photo1-vi.jpg

photo4-vi.jpg

i usually dont use alot of decals, but i got these out, and i thought they would look great on here.......i think they do! i have to hit them with some solvaset yet, but thats about it......

more to come, thanks for lookin

bryan

That's pretty cool Bryan.

You could have called it "Crankenstein" also, beings he's pretty close to an olive drab shade of green, and it woulda' matched with your tribute too.

But Gangrene is an awesome name too. Lookin pretty awesome too man.

Corey

No prob Bryan.

Wow man, I wasn't tryin to alter your thinking on it, lol.

Just had the idea pop in there after seeing all the cool, Cranky decals.

Awesome seein you put this rod together whatever you call it.

The Doc'll be proud of this one for sure!

Corey

Edited by dimebolt