Model Cars Magazine Forum

Plastikote primer...

Hello,

Like hunting for an elusive holy grail, finding a local supplier for Plastikote T235 has become an obsession for me. Sure there are other alternatives, and I am not going to stop building if I can't find it, but I don't give up. The search is part of the fun.

After inquiring in many paint retailers, one of them requested it to the PK sales rep with no luck. I ended up writing an email to Valspar's customer service (Plastikote parent company). They referred me to a local PK manager who referred me to a wholesaler distributor. Long story made short, that simply does not exists in PR. However, I got a call from the distributor telling me they MIGHT be able to get T237. That's the same primer but in white. As I type there is a massive hunt going on now to find that case of T237 and the search for T235 continues :mellow:

Thanks,

Edited by ismaelg

Forgot to tell you. You can order the paint directly from Plastikote(Valspar). I had the problem not finding any retailers that carried Plastikote. I called up their customer service department and they told me I could order the paint right over the phone and they would ship it to me. You should try that.

Forgot to tell you. You can order the paint directly from Plastikote(Valspar). I had the problem not finding any retailers that carried Plastikote. I called up their customer service department and they told me I could order the paint right over the phone and they would ship it to me. You should try that.

Since I live in Puerto Rico everything is air mail. Apparently, nothing mail related is sent by boat anymore. At least here. Believe me, I've tried. I even contacted Fedex Hazardous Freight but I would need a special permit ($$$$$$$$$$$$$). I still haven't found a retailer willing to ship it to me. B)

Thanks,

GOOD NEWS!!!

I'm now the owner of what is believed to be the only case (6 cans) of Plastikote T-237 primer known to exists within the boundaries of this island :D

Although I prefer T235 (grey) I'm happy with the T-237 as it is the same, but white.

The sales rep. the distributor and the local retailer all have my contact info in case they find T235. It seems they are all curious now and that could be a good thing....

Thanks,

HA! Be careful with what you wish :)

Just got a call from the distributor. They are bringing in 5 cases of T235 just for me. That's 30 cans :o

I guess I will now sell primer locally :D

Thanks,

No, you'll just have to build more to use it up :o

36 cans of primer, roughly 5 cars per can of primer (likely more), that's 180 models, let's say 10 models a year, that's an 18 year supply. If you only build 2 per year, you have a 90 year supply :o

I miss the Plastikote too.

I have been useing Duplicolor and hate it. It stays tacky for a long time and I have even had it react with itself. I had several kits that had been sitting for weeks that I sanded and applied another coat of Dupl on it. The paint wrinkled. I really hate the stuff. I think I may go to an automotive store and get primer sealer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Last chapter: 6 cases, 6 cans each. 36 cans. 4 cars per can, 144 cars. About 5 cars a year: 29 years supply!!!!! :rolleyes:

For the local builders interested, I'll take some to the Plastic Model Store (Luciano) so he can sell them.

DSCF6854b.jpg

Thanks,

Not that it helps you at all............ but our local hardware store stocks it, and it's very cheap compared to the brands I've been using.

My question is? - What is the base of the primer....... Laquer - Acrylic - Enamel??

I tend to use Acrylic touch-up paints [Halfords] for all my spraying purposes and wondered whether this might be a compatible and cheaper alternative?

Thanks................. Andi

Andi,

This is a lacquer based primer. It can be top coated with pretty much anything. Lacquers, enamels, acrylics etc.

It is always a good idea to do a little test first just to be sure, but I don't think it will be a problem with those acrylics.

Thanks,