Model Cars Magazine Forum

Preview of Model king 70 Z-28 box art and decals

S. Svendsen

Here's another one I just finished for Model King. This is a re-issue of the Ertl 70 Z-28 from about 5 years ago. It's an excellent kit with lots of detail.

I created an all new decal sheet for it with accurate stripes in both black and white this time. The original issue decals did not have the white stripes and the rear of the stripes was incorrect for the short spoiler. I also added all the Z-28, SS and Rally Sport emblems, gauge faces and air cleaner decals. In addition there are two sets of custom stripes and a bunch of license plates. The other markings are a mixture of vintage drag racing and modern SCCA autocrossing.

The box art models were built by James Tester and Tom Miller who did an awesome job!

The kit will be out by the end of the year.

70camaro_box.jpg

z-28_decals.jpg

Good news for me. I got the AMT Baldwin Motion Camaro when it was first released, and have searched high & low for the Z28 version. now my search is done. and with a great set of decals. good things come to those who wait.

Thanks for the info. Bro.

Oh, yeah...this might be one worth loading up on when it comes out. I know I'll want a couple.

I guess I share Bill's thoughts on the box art. Why couldn't a multi-million dollar company see the value in turning the box art up a notch or two? As anyone who has been in a singles bar knows, packaging is everything. The average consumer often goes for what they think they see more so than what they'll have when they get home. :D

On this Camaro kit in particular...has anyone in the aftermaket come up with a cleaner option for the headlight trim? The way it's molded in it's a bear to foil, and doesn't look nearly as clean and crisp as the real car. I know there are limitations in scale, but I wonder if somebody came up with a better way?

Why are the MK boxes so much better than any RC2/LC/AMT box?? A few reasons....Dave Burket CARES what he puts his name on and has more knowlegde about kits than RC2. Sean is a true artist and is able to design a box top from a modelers POV. All it takes is a little care and talent. Dave and Sean allow me to help out once in a while and both are great folks to work with.

Wow! BEAUTIFUL Box Art!! :o

How come RC2 couldn't do such great box art?? I think a lot of their problems wouldn't be if they focused on the product instead of a quick buck! :D

Even if RC2 had the great box art, you usually didn't get what was on the box in the box. At least with the newer kits. Paul