Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Gary, I hate to say this, but you bought what was pictured. The only thing I see different between your pics and the auction pic is the lack of the dashboard in your pics. Did you get that? If you look closely at your first pic, even though yours is at a slightly different angle, the auction pic has the same ill fitting gap at the top of the passenger side of the windshield as your pic does. Also, I don't know if part of your anger is that it seems, especially since you took the pic of the rear end with only one taillight, you were assuming it was complete. I can tell by the original pic it was not complete! I see no front bumper or grille, and no indication of the rear bumper, either. When there is any doubt like that, especially since NO WHERE in the description that it was complete, you can email the seller BEFORE YOU BID and ask more questions. If there is any doubt in my mind, that is what I ALWAYS DO, and if I either still have doubt or the seller doesn't answer my question to my satisfaction, no matter how badly I think I need the item, I PASS! I'm sorry if I'm seeming harsh and kicking you while you're down, because I'm not trying to do that, but I honestly don't see why you have an issue with the seller. The only way I could see an issue is if you did not receive the dashboard, since it was pictured, but other than that, you got what you (over)paid for.

By the way, that is why I prefer to buy sealed kits. Yes, I might pay more, but if it is a subject I really want to build, I have the 99.9% piece of mind that I'll be able to build the model. Yeah, there is that 0.1% chance there may be a factory defect, warpage problem, or other issue, but that is a risk I'm more than willing to take!

:lol: Well, for what ever it is worth, I did get the dashboard with the model and I knew that the car was very incomplete. If you read my post carefully, you'll see that I am as upset ( or more ) with myself as much as with the seller. The auction photo shows the windshield sitting at an angle but I don't see how you can tell that the frame is as twisted as it is and a write off. The main purpose of the post is as said at the end - to hopefully help someone else not make the mistake that I did. I accept the blame for my short comings here.. and I admit that I did not do my due diligence here. :rolleyes: I think that most will agree that the auction photo is a bit misleading. The shot of the rear of the car had nothing to do with tail lights - it is just another view of a screwed up windshield frame. I have learned my lesson - trust me. :):):)

Edited by impcon

The auction photo shows the windshield sitting at an angle but I don't see how you can tell that the frame is as twisted as it is and a write off.

That is where I said asking questions before bidding is very helpful. I don't know if the auction pic is the same size as it was in the auction posting, but even at the size it is in your post, I could see just from the gap on the passenger side, there was possibly an issue with the frame, so I zoomed in on the pic to 400%, and even though it looks no where near as bad as it does in your pic, I, at least, can see there is an issue. After that, I would have asked the seller about it and for better pics before bidding, and if they didn't want to do that, I would have told them I pass. At least you admit you learned from the experience, and my advise, zoom in on all the pics as close as you can. There have been things I either seen like issues like yours or sometimes even in parts lots, a part that makes the rest of it worth getting that I may have missed by not zooming the pic.

our club had its annual swapmeet last night and this is what the wife came home with, Camaro for her son and Tamiya mini for her 13yr old daughter

jensscores1013.jpg

jensscores1012.jpg

jazsscores1014.jpg

and this is my score although she picked up the big scale 55 for me

myscores1019.jpg

daytona, mono 69 camaro body couple of snaptights

myscores1017.jpg

windscreen pillers are broken on both and 1 at least has broken back window

myscores1018.jpg

parts for a couple of pickups

myscores1016.jpg

myscores1014.jpg

myscores1015.jpg

myscores1013.jpg

Edited by brett

ROYALPURPLE.jpg

and although I feel kinda guilty about scoring/grabbing so much ,I did wait quite a while before making my selections and some had left before I got my last few things. So should I feel guilty? I am a relatively newer builder than most (been in the club longer than some but in terms of the hobby newer than most of our members?) so dont have the huge stashes that some of them have.

AMT Pete 359 'Midnight Express' (open but unbuilt)

AMT Kenworth K-123 Cab-over (partial built-up)

AMT Canepa Kenworth T600A (x2) (partial built-ups)

IMEX 1/25th scale auto transport trailer. (open but unbuilt)

A few other vintage kits from the 60s through 80s.

our club had its annual swapmeet last night and this is what the wife came home with, Camaro for her son and Tamiya mini for her 13yr old daughter

jensscores1013.jpg

jensscores1012.jpg

jazsscores1014.jpg

and this is my score although she picked up the big scale 55 for me

myscores1019.jpg

daytona, mono 69 camaro body couple of snaptights

myscores1017.jpg

windscreen pillers are broken on both and 1 at least has broken back window

myscores1018.jpg

parts for a couple of pickups

myscores1016.jpg

myscores1014.jpg

myscores1015.jpg

myscores1013.jpg

holy cow!!!! that slammers fury snap kit is the very first kit i have ever built!!!!!!

Got this a few days ago along with some other purchases from the same Ebay seller.. I was totally frosted when I saw the condition of this car and it has taken me a few days to settle down to the point where I can post this without coming unglued..

In his item description he conveniently forgot to mention that the windshield frame is junk.. Some of the other stuff that I received from him was almost this bad but I stepped out and paid for this one.. $31.00! Imustbenuts.gifI really wanted this model and I threw caution and common sense to the winds...00 plus shipping. I should have known better - and looked a lot closer but my vision and perception wasn't all that great the day that I bought this.. eye_chart_out_of_focus_md_wht.gif I mean, it's as much my fault as his(hers?) I guess.. I am just hoping that maybe some one out there might learn something from my screw up and stupidity. his pictures are poor and his resposes to emails are usually one or two short sentances. Ebay's feedback system is crazy .. but it is really my fault for trusting someone. Needless to say, I'll never buy from that seller again no matter what he is selling. Sorry for whining..but here's the auction 's item description -

" This is a 1/24 or 1/25 screw bottom 1966 ? Dodge Polara Convertible for parts or restore. Unsure of the scale and year. It will come with everything pictured. This is a plastic model kit. So when you get it it may have a few loose parts that will need to be reglued. It will be shipped in a plastic bag and wrapped in bubble wrap or peanuts and put in a cardboard box. Combined shipping on loose model kits are 7.75 for the first and 2.00 each after in the US."

Here's the auction photo:

EbayPic.jpg

and here's what it REALLY looks like here's what I received for $31.00 plus shipping..

0011966PolaraConvdriversside.jpg

0041966Dodgeconvpassview.jpg

0021966Dodgeconvfrontview.jpg

0051966Dodgecopnvrrview.jpg

This pretty much refects my feelings about this - frustratedkick.gif All I can say is it was an expoensive lesson well learned, If anyone wants this sellers user ID, pm me and I'll send it to you. He or she sells a lot of models so you may want to know who to watch for.. popupgiraffe.gif

I personally would contact the seller,if that doesn't work contact e-bay,And open up a case,you may have to send the car back,But you should get a refund,Sorry that car however is rare,That is a piece of junk,And please PM me the name of the seller so I can stay away them,All I can say is sorry to see this,You think your getting a deal,And you get burned,I've had is happen so many times on there,Just contact customer support on there they will get you fixed up!

$31 doesn't seem that bad for the Dodge- only a fraction of what I got stuck paying for this:

Bwze4EWkKGrHqMOKnIEvyFryDd0BMKo6J52.jpg?t=1278679596

Entirely my fault- wasn't going to be around and wanted it enough that I placed what I thought was a ridiculously high bid- and ended up "winning" for my maximum :huh:

I think I know who the seller was on the Polara from the pic- someone I no longer deal with because of slightly shady pictures and deals

$31 doesn't seem that bad for the Dodge- only a fraction of what I got stuck paying for this:

Entirely my fault- wasn't going to be around and wanted it enough that I placed what I thought was a ridiculously high bid- and ended up "winning" for my maximum :)

I think I know who the seller was on the Polara from the pic- someone I no longer deal with because of slightly shady pictures and deals

nice score,I wish Bandit Resins still made the conversion kit of this car,I won't ask how much,I bid on a MPC 71 Demon kit alittle over a year ago,when I had alot of money,Bid $250 for it,And ended up paying $202 plus shipping,I opened up the box and it was half built poorly,So I carefully took it apart,switched the mint box it was in to the ratty box one of my mint ones was in,And ended up selling it for $150 free shipping,I wish I would have kept it,but I already had 2 mint kits,Plus I needed to help my now wife out to move here from Wisconsin,So losing $50 was worth it!

Entirely my fault- wasn't going to be around and wanted it enough that I placed what I thought was a ridiculously high bid- and ended up "winning" for my maximum :)

Buying that model really was an act of stupidity on my part - no question about it. That seller however, should be more forthcoming with his descriptions because with the number of models that they sell, it is not like they are ignorant as to what is good and what is not. And like I said, I bought a bunch of kits from him and the Dodge was not exactly an exception as far as being less than was hoped for. The killer is, I bought several more models from him/her before I received the Dodge - I'll be picking those up atthe post office later today. I really don't know if I want to open that box today or just set it on the shelf for when I am having a REALLY GOOD day - it may not hurt as much then. |*sighs* I'm sorry to hear thatyou got burned too - I'll pm you the sellers ID - see if it's the same person.. :P

:) Got this last Friday along with some other goodies that I will post later.. It's a '58 Chevy Spartan ( or Viking - which ever you choose to think of it as ) from Frontier Resins. All in all, I am very happy with it. It's going to be built as a tandem axle tractor with a tandem axle gravel trailer. I'll start scrounging up the chassis and 348 engine for it ( I have several engines ) and maybe a trailer - I may just try to scatch build my own trailer.. it's a future project - probably start on it in the next short while but it's gonna be a long build but I am so looking forward to it!

00258ChevySpartanrecdJuly0910.jpg

00358ChevySpartanrecdJuly0910.jpg

Also got this - I have been wanting one for a long time.. another resin model - not sure if it in Modelhause or not because I bought it off Ebay. It will be bone stock right down to the 235 cu. in. six cylinder and dog dish hubcaps although I am not sure of the colour yet.. maybe Aspen Green, Harbour Blue, Crown Saphire or Snowcrest White.( http://www.59classicchevy.com/body-colors.html ) Classic Cream or Satin Beige are the other two possibilities. It'll have the usual mundane gray interior. All that the caster forgot was the "Biscayne" script that went on the rear quarters on the real 1:1 cars. That may be a challenge... Having said that, I am really impressed with the quality of this casting.. it could pass for a styrene kit with no problem.. sure is sweet!!! I sure am happy with it!!!!!! B):lol::P:D:D:D

0011959ChevsedandeliveryJuly1110.jpg

:D Got this last Friday along with some other goodies that I will post later.. It's a '58 Chevy Spartan ( or Viking - which ever you choose to think of it as ) from Frontier Resins. All in all, I am very happy with it. It's going to be built as a tandem axle tractor with a tandem axle gravel trailer. I'll start scrounging up the chassis and 348 engine for it ( I have several engines ) and maybe a trailer - I may just try to scatch build my own trailer.. it's a future project - probably start on it in the next short while but it's gonna be a long build but I am so looking forward to it!

th_00258ChevySpartanrecdJuly0910.jpgth_00358ChevySpartanrecdJuly0910.jpg

The truck cab looks good. What's the link to Frontier Resin ? I'd like to check out their product line.

A few kits(Caddy Vert was high on my list of grails) and some paint from Homie D...

By the way I'm done buying kits now..

(I've told myself that about 40 times,how many times you've told yourself that?).

God I know what you mean, I have told myself that 1000 times and still find a kit or two to stash away that I may never build...............

The truck cab looks good. What's the link to Frontier Resin ? I'd like to check out their product line.

I can't find a website for Frontier resin - I was guided to the truck on Ebay by someone else and that is where I bought it. All in all, I am pretty happy with it. I did a bit of a kit review on it in the resin section under the Frontier Resin thread. There are some better pics of it there too. I have some ideas for improving on the cab I just haven't had time today to look into them. It's a truck that no one else seems to offer and while I wanted a '59, this '58 is close enough. The only external differences between '58 and '59 that I am aware of were the fender ornaments and the hood emblem.

I'll likely buy a Modelhause '59 cab ( $39.00 ) to build and to take a casting of the proper hood and fender emblems from. I'll have to remove the ones from the Frontier cab but that's OK. Also, I have not tried it yet, but I want to see if the hood from an AMT '55 Chevy truck will work on this cab and if it is close and can be made to work, I'll use it instead of the resin hood. The resin hood will work with some tlc but I'll use a styrene one if I can. I want to build a '59 pickup anyhow so I'll killl two birds with one stone. :D:):)

My buddy hooked me up with the Chevy truck because I need the frame for another project and my friend at work ( assistant manager ) buys old storage units to sell stuff and she gives me the models she finds. This Ford is the 3rd car in 2 months free and this one is nice. Started but the 2 tone is nicely done and the hood is kitbashed. Lots of extra parts. I might keep this one this way and make it an old school strip car. DSC04048.jpg

Guest Mustang3.8

Great score at the hobby shop. '66 Impala, Deora, Testors Root Beer, and Tamiya Smoke. The shop also had the new Peterbilt 378 long Hauler, but it was $92.00.

post-4483-12790640535222_thumb.jpg

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...