Model Cars Magazine Forum

meet #2 1975 dodge dart sport (or something)

diymirage

wow believe it or not i managed to finish 2...thats right TWO models this year

this is number 2

its the 1975 plymouth duster kit with the kit supplied dodge dart sport front end

some of the aftermarket features are spider rims, a 440 big block and a latham supercharger (resin peice by Alan Raab)

the paint is primer under clear coat and the hood has a scoop from a corvette grafted to it

im not pleased with the way the rear bumper fit and somehow the rear axle didnt align properly

but im calling her done nonetheless :)

(here is the build thread...pay no attention to the projected end date in there ;) )

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38061

1356471138.jpg

1356471104.jpg

1356471059.jpg

1356471012.jpg

1356470975.jpg

1356470922.jpg

"but you forgot to paint the engine bay

(mopars were the only ones with enough class to paint the engine bay body colour instead of just painbombing it black)"

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67826&page=2

i know that now

but i painted this one almost 2 years ago ;)

if someone would have been kind and helpfull enough to let me know that before i painted this one it would have looked much MUCH better

oh well, you live you learn :)

i know that now

but i painted this one almost 2 years ago ;)

if someone would have been kind and helpfull enough to let me know that before i painted this one it would have looked much MUCH better

oh well, you live you learn :)

Wait wait...you painted it 2 years ago, and at some point during the subsequent 730 days you found out the correct paint pattern. So why couldn't you go back and fix it. I mean it's only primer, it's not like you had to worry about the color matching or anything.

If this kit really is so awful, that after poking and prodding it around you couldn't with the best of your efforts for 2 years you couldn't get the axle or bumper to mount properly. You need to write up a review of the kit to warn off other potential builders of all of the pitfalls and difficulties. As Joe mentioned you don't even get what's on the box, IN the box, so there's already problems before you even get into assembly.

Looking good. Like the stripes. Just an FYI that kit is NOT a Duster. The box was mislabeled. It is a Dart Sport, not a Duster w/a Dart Sport nose. The mislabeled box is a pet peeve of mine as I got burned once by not noticing the box art when I bid on the car. Needed a 74 Duster to build a friends car.

thanks, the stripes came with the kit (i was pretty glad i managed to match the hood that closely though)

i thought the nose and tail light panel were the only differences between the duster and dart sport ?

then again, i know demons have different front fenders then dusters aswell so maybe there are more differences then i am aware off

Wait wait...you painted it 2 years ago, and at some point during the subsequent 730 days you found out the correct paint pattern. So why couldn't you go back and fix it. I mean it's only primer, it's not like you had to worry about the color matching or anything.

If this kit really is so awful, that after poking and prodding it around you couldn't with the best of your efforts for 2 years you couldn't get the axle or bumper to mount properly. You need to write up a review of the kit to warn off other potential builders of all of the pitfalls and difficulties. As Joe mentioned you don't even get what's on the box, IN the box, so there's already problems before you even get into assembly.

you know, it never even crossed my mind to fix the engine bay

im sure i got several models on the shelf that have that wrong

im not sure how much of the issues stemmed from the kit itself and how many stemmed from me jacking up the rear and just not being a great modeler

if i could find one for a good price i would love to try and build it again to see what really lies at the root of this issue

(would make a great entry for the horrible kit community build)