Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: Rusty Wallace's "LAst call" 2005 Charger

David Thibodeau

Dave that car is awesome. What did you use for the brake ducts?

That is thin wire wrapped around a tube and covered in Bare metal foil....

Billy, its one decal but it ALOT of decal solvent to tame it down........

Thanks again,

More updates as the Charger build progresses...

I looked at photos of Rusty's 2005 Martinsville car and tried to replicate it as close as possible. He ran outer grill plates on the lower center nostrils and sunken in mesh on the uppers and of course brake duct grills to cool the brakes.... Here is what I can up with using model car garage PE grills and Pro tech bolts.

petty43001-vi.jpg

petty43003-vi.jpg

Next up was tackling the dash mounted ignition system. Pro tech resin MSD boxes and scratchbuilt coils make up the plate. Followed by careful painting and wire details from Pro Tech. I purposely cut out the rectangle panel in the dash so the wires would show through coming from the ignition panel. Then I covered it with Acetate and bolts. I have a pic of Rusty's 1:1 dash and it is set up this way.

P1010002-vi.jpg

Here is the dash in the car

P1010003-vi.jpg

I assume Rusty ran a Koolbox IV from Computech in the car somewhere. Most mount it behind the seat but I want it to be seen well.... It is made from Block styrene and Cig foil with craft wire for detail and a PE mesh grill. Of course a Koolbox IV decal from a JWTBM Goodie sheet finishes it off...

P1010001-vi.jpg

Like I mentioned above, I wanted it to be visible so I installed it on the pass floor so it can be seen through a peek of the pass window.

P1010004-vi.jpg

Here is a peek through the pass window! B)

P1010005-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking as always

DaveT

Dave, that dash looks awesome! The ignition plate looks dead on, man.... And the clear plexiglass showing the wires is an awesome touch! Just unreal man. Unreal. Why don't you stop by the NNL East so I can see it better??? Wink wink, nudge nudge...... :blink:

Looks great Dave!

• 2 weeks later...

I am truely amazed. I have never seen anyting like this and I've been building for awhile. I guess I've been locked up in my shop too long. The engine, suspension, all the custom mods, I mean it's amazing!

Now I am depressed because I realize how inadequate my models are. I thought I was just missing some smaller details, but I am an amature compared to this.

I am both inspired and completely deflated at the same time. WOW, Unbelievable work. Sincerely, my hat is off.

• 3 weeks later...

With the detail itch still present, I fixated on finishing up the engine bay on the Miller lite car. It is done except for carb linkage details and duct work since it is a short track car......

P1010024-vi.jpg

P1010025-vi.jpg

P1010027-vi.jpg

Front suspension and brakes are also complete...

P1010026-vi.jpg

P1010028-vi.jpg

Final pic of body temporarily on the car.... I will finish up the interior and trunk detail and the body will go on for good... its getting close!!

P1010029-vi.jpg

Dave T

wait.......these have grills? :D;)

but seriously, this is truly outstanding, your photos and work looks real and professional and this is one of my favorite builds, even though I'm not a huge fan. Very beautiful work. :)

Edited by Nick F40

Getting close to completion!!

Steering wheel installed along with Earnhardt bar detail.

P1010041-vi.jpg

All duct hoses, rear package tray, and bracing in place

P1010042-vi.jpg

Crushpanels and oil breather tank installed...

P1010043-vi.jpg

Few more final views of completed interior...

P1010044-vi.jpg

P1010045-vi.jpg

Completed Engine

P1010047-vi.jpg

Body pics (Body is permanantly in place)

P1010051-vi.jpg

P1010052-vi.jpg

P1010053-vi.jpg

P1010054-vi.jpg

She is getting close!!!

Dave T

WOW...... :o

What more can I say to decribe that piece of art work. That is one, if not the best detailed model I have see to date.

job well done and Keep up the good work David.

Anthony R.

Exhaust, is in, I basically used the kit dump with new pipes made out of plumbers solder... then I heated them up with alclad and tamiya clear orange..... Still need to add a black wash but you get the idea.... ;D Driveshaft is made and installed. Not much left to do on the bottom but add trans mount, bracing and front brake cooling hoses....

P1010058-vi.jpg

Skirting is also installed. Made out of black styrene and detailed with pro tech .030 bolts....

P1010060-vi.jpg

P1010061-vi.jpg

I think its time to make a stand too!!!! ::)

P1010062-vi.jpg

P1010063-vi.jpg

Dave,

I also have a question for you if you don't mind. The stands that you make and use for your detailed builds. Do you have any sizes or measurments that you might pass along. I would like to make one myself to use to take pics with.

Chris

This should help you Chris..

Sarge and Jay asked about the stands that to me Clay made popular....

Here is what you need to make the stand. .32mm X .40MM plastistruct tubing and (in this case) some channel tubing that I dont recall the size on to reinforce the vertical parts..... I chose to paint this stand charcoal and accent the joints wih silver for weld joints.... another trick made popular by Mr Kemp.

P1010064-vi.jpg

Here is a closeup of the stand assembled and complete. Now I cannot provide consistent measurements because each car they are built for are different, its all done by eye and trial and fitting it to the car. Tricky part is getting to sit rock solid.. Its not rocket science.....pretty basic plastic building technique.

P1010065-vi.jpg

IF your patient and build it clean, it really sets off the model!! You could use thinner material, in fact Clay and I discussed thinner tubing. I used thinner stuff on the pirates car and I never got the teetering issue solved.. food for thought!! ::)

P1010066-vi.jpg

P1010068-vi.jpg

• 10 years later...
3 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Holy smokes what a superb build! Where does Dave post his work these days?

I don't know, but he, like Clay Kemp, are both gods of this hobby. To view their work is a special thing for us mortals. 

8 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

I don't know, but he, like Clay Kemp, are both gods of this hobby. To view their work is a special thing for us mortals. 

Yes I agree Mark... I have seen Clay's work here and it is equally good.  I watched their interviews over at Scale Auto where they both do articles (as everyone knows) and they give each other credit and are friends.  They have some desktop wallpaper of their work for subscribers too.  That is how I found out about Dave.. did a little search and found some YT videos he did for Gravity Colors that I am going through and learning from.  Hopefully I can find more tutorials and articles by him and Clay to learn from them both.  In Clay's interview they started the video off with some of his builds and they were incredible and the type of builds I enjoy the most... just like Dave's.