Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 Chevy gasser question

I want to build a 2 door post 1955 Chevy old school late 1960's gasser and need some advice.

I bought the AMT 2 door post kit and for the body. It looks pretty good. I was slightly disappointed by the front large under bumper pan. I plan to leave the front bumper off and the lip on the pan is, in my option, way to thick and deep. I figure I can message it.

The frame/pan will not work however because it has a muffler and exhaust molded in.

I bought a Monogram 1955 hard top street machine hoping that frame would work, but it too had mufflers and exhaust molded in.

That is that back ground. Here is the questions

Is there a tri 5 Chevy kit that does not have mufflers and exhaust molded it?

What kit has the best straight axle and springs

Any ideas on the best way the make a working tilt nose?

What kit has the best big block Chevy engine?

Would like to build with old School pie crust slicks and Crager SS or Americans. Any source for those?.

Thanks in advance for all and any input.

Here is my front splash corrected ...... pick up the AMT 57 or the Rev 55 hard top or the 56/7 sedan ... those can be made to fit ..... another option would be the MPC/AMT 57 flip nose Belair sedan

post-1213-0-53863300-1361662271_thumb.jp

post-1213-0-08453500-1361662300_thumb.jp

Edited by Alan

I did a flip-nose tutorial recently. With minor mods, the same method will work on a '55.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70025

M&H Racemaster pie-crust slicks here, at post #35

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=60095&page=2

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks to everyone the chimed in. I am a little confused, however, about the reference to the Revell 1955 Chevy kits. I would like a kit that

The new tool Revell '55, '56 and '57 Chevy kits have frames/pans without the exhaust molded in. Great start by the way!

I am a little confused because upon checking I do not see a current listing in the Revell catalog for a 1955 Chevy.

I have the "Street Machine" 1955 Chevy which was at one time a Revell kit but is now labeled Monogram and it has the exhaust molded in.

Anybody have a kit number for a tri 5 Chevy that does not have molded in exhaust?

Thanks in advance