Model Cars Magazine Forum

shipping a completed build

wgflatliner

Uh, very carefully?

I sell on eBay everything I build and so have some experience in packing and shipping models. First things first, get yourself some polyester fiberfill (available widely at the usual big stores and many hobby and craft shops): it is the very best thing for shipping models because its shock-absorption properties are unmatched by anything else. I used to build a little shipping crate for each model out of cardboard and foam padding, as in these examples:

DSCN0870.jpg

DSCN0789.jpg

This method ensures that nothing will touch the model on its journey to its new destination. Lately, though, I have dispensed with the crate and just put the car in a one-gallon sealable freezer bag and then set that in a fluffy bed of fiberfill. This is a much simpler method and I've not heard any complaints from buyers. All the models I've shipped this way have arrived safe and sound without any damage.

I always use a brand-new box of this size:

http://duckbrand.com/products/mailing-moving-storage/boxes-mailing-tubes/kraft-boxes

DSCN0872.jpg

And I always test the packaging before I seal the box. Fill it with the model and fiberfill and the move it from side to side, upside down, and so forth to detect any movement of the model within. When you are satisfied that you have enough fiberfill in the box to keep the model in place, seal it up and send it on its way.

Good luck.

Edited by Chillyb1

I just received a box with three of Ron Cash's old builds that I bought on eBay. The three models were sent in the same large box and were very well wrapped. First, each one was totally wrapped in toilet paper until it looked like a pillow. That was set into a box slightly larger, with packing peanuts all around. That box was then sealed. Each of these three boxes was then put into the larger box with packing peanuts etc all around so they wouldn't be able to move within the box. Everything got here fine!

Hope this helps

All I can add is, if there's no antennae on the top of the car, I will pack them upside down, so there is no wieght on the wheels. Then close the box and affix a fairly large label with a small address on it. This forces the box to stay upright for the bulk of the trip because the address needs to be seen. Never had an issue.

I've shipped promos and builders that needed work and I wrap them with half a roll of toilet paper and paper towels . But never anything that was / is supposed to be nicely built .

I just bought what looks like a 'really' nice builtup on ebay so I have my fingers crossed it gets here safely + packed accordingly