Model Cars Magazine Forum

Flashback: AMT Scirocco

I started on one of these yesterday, only to find the instructions missing but thanks to members here and great customer service from round 2 I'm now well on with it. The only problem so far is the front panel fit is terrible on the stock parts. It will need plastic added and fitted properly. The rear panel fit is much better but again it way off. I'm fixing this by sanding the entire panel to fit the sides. The worst thing for me about this kit is the 1/25 scale (mainly because all my other vws are 1/24) and the amount of flash, but a little extra effort and I think it should make a presentable build

• 2 years later...
On 11/29/2018 at 12:32 PM, stitchdup said:

The only problem so far is the front panel fit is terrible on the stock parts.

That was almost always my experience with AMT kits rom the Lesney era-- poor mating surfaces, limited (if any) locating pins/grooves, etc., and just a general "close enough" feel. Not exactly AMT's high point in quality and engineering, IMHO.

On 11/29/2018 at 12:32 PM, stitchdup said:

The worst thing for me about this kit is the 1/25 scale (mainly because all my other vws are 1/24)

Ha! Nice to read a European builder's perspective here every once in a while, as it's usually the opposite we hear complaints about.

17 minutes ago, Casey said:

That was almost always my experience with AMT kits rom the Lesney era-- poor mating surfaces, limited (if any) locating pins/grooves, etc., and just a general "close enough" feel. Not exactly AMT's high point in quality and engineering, IMHO.

Ha! Nice to read a European builder's perspective here every once in a while, as it's usually the opposite we hear complaints about.

I've got a 1/24 scirocco race car I'm planning to mix with a revell mk1 golf so I can have a 1/24 version. About all I'll be using from the scirocco is the body and glass though, the rest is way too much like a toy