Model Cars Magazine Forum

1985 Pontiac Fiero V8

Jordan White

I always thought Fieros were cool. My wife's cousin had a V6 version, all modified for performance with that sinister scoop reaching out above the roof. Gotta love 'em! Note that the Fiero project was originally started out as a GM high gas mileage commuter car concept. It shares a lot of GM parts bin items, including some Chevette bits. GM probably should have looked at it's Euro or Japanese cars for that commuter car but Detroit seemed to always try to solve their own problems with a US solution back then. For instance, later on the Geo Storm (new body on an Isuzu chassis) was the answer for the commuter car question. I guess they eventually learned.

Once we got past that first gas crisis, everyone went back to their old ways and GM thought the need for that high gas mile car was gone and looked at the sports car that the Fiero eventually became. I think it did as well in the market as any dedicated 2 seater could. Remember that's not a large a market to begin with. I think if they did it as a convertible, they could have sold a few more of 'em.

As far as models, I have an original MPC kit, but someone boogered up the body, attempting to mold in the flares with at least a whole tube of Green Putty. Otherwise, with the stimulus of Jordan's car here, I'd pull that sucker out and build it!

Edited by Tom Geiger