Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell S.E 1/25 1968 Dodge Charger R/T (Hemified).

BMX Addicts

Thanks Joe.

Has anyone tried this stuff before?

photo-35_zps5dde7f89.jpg

outstanding stuff. I have used it to replicate texture on bottom of Manx and on corvettes both in 1/25. Great scale effect. covered with acrylic or enamel only, per hte instructions. One problem. It takes a while before the contents come out as a spray rather than a stream. Spray off subject until you get it to spray like paint.

joe.

Never done drag racing but I have certainly been on many-many race cars since I was 18 years of age... Never before I heard of a 60's, 70's street modified to a race car without mufflers.

I don't thing this particular model qualifies as a drag car either (Arent those supposed to have different engines and bars on the rear and stuff???)

Hummmm :unsure:

Here is a photo of the undercarriage of a 1968 Charger with a level two race mod:

Level268Charger_zpsae235773.jpg

Edited by BMX Addicts

outstanding stuff. I have used it to replicate texture on bottom of Manx and on corvettes both in 1/25. Great scale effect. covered with acrylic or enamel only, per hte instructions. One problem. It takes a while before the contents come out as a spray rather than a stream. Spray off subject until you get it to spray like paint.

joe.

Yes Joe, I liked it too... I believe the best results are obtained spraying from a greater distance, but yes, that initial squirt is freaky :P

Its got a roll bar, a high hp engine, sponsors and drag tires......sounds like a drag car to me. If you are seeing mufflers on a drag car its one of 3 things, 1. the car is also driven on the street, 2. the track they race at requires a small muffler for noise restrictions due to local regulations or 3. the owner cant handle the noise. I have also been around race cars my whole life, my father was a mechanic and also raced several diffrent styles of cars till i was about 7 or 8 yrs old before he quit.

Never done drag racing but I have certainly been on many-many race cars since I was 18 years of age... Never before I heard of a 60's, 70's street modified to a race car without mufflers.

I don't thing this particular model qualifies as a drag car either (Arent those supposed to have different engines and bars on the rear and stuff???)

Hummmm :unsure:

Here is a photo of the undercarriage of a 1968 Charger with a level two race mod:

Level268Charger_zpsae235773.jpg

LOL its got street tires, that's not a drag car!

The photo above is not of a drag car... Is a street car with a Level 2 race mod.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's we were racing late 60's and early 70's cars, we used to race Moroso, Sebring, Hialeah and they used to be known as Cyclon cars... Tuned mufflers were key back then.

It seems I keep running into your opinions for some reason... but if I wanted to build a drag car, I would have bought one of those instead.

Edited by BMX Addicts

The photo above is not of a drag car... Is a street car with a Level 2 race mod.

I know and the model you are building is a 1968 drag car! If you want to put an exhaust on then do it!! I'm just telling you that not only do the kit directions state that the drag version does not run an exhaust but in real life for the time this car was supposed to be running down the drag strip they didnt run an exhaust either.....there was no need!! An exhaust restricts the engine and creates back pressure which is NOT what you want in a drag car.

It seems I keep running into your opinions for some reason... but if I wanted to build a drag car, I would have bought one of those instead.

Just ask and ill never say another word to you if that's what you please. I was just trying to help................Build it the way you want, i don't care that's what this hobby is about. You asked a question i answered it and tried to explain why its like it is.

Yeah Juan, I had that problem. Old drag racers don't have exhausts, same in this kit, same in the Plymouth GTX I built. I just stuck them on anyway because I wanted a road car build. Realistically this kit shouldn't have them on if you're doing the Hemified drag racer, but hey, it's your build, I stuck them on anyway too. :)

Let's just say I wanted this car to be more of a race track model... I know it was very popular in the mid 70's for speedways, but you are right, it has the big slick tires in the rear.

I just think it sucks having no pipes running along the undercarriage, if you got bent out of shape by a distributor with wrong wiring, I cannot even begin to imagine how you could feel with headers with out exhaust system... Just sayin'

1968-Dodge-Charger-at-NASCAR-Charlotte-5

Yeah Juan, I had that problem. Old drag racers don't have exhausts, same in this kit, same in the Plymouth GTX I built. I just stuck them on anyway because I wanted a road car build. Realistically this kit shouldn't have them on if you're doing the Hemified drag racer, but hey, it's your build, I stuck them on anyway too. :)

Heck yeah buddy!!!

photo-44_zpsb48afba6.jpg

No biggie James, like you said, is just a model!!!.

The build is a nice clean build. And i see someone one here finally put black in the Keystones! But i do got to echo others that this is a drag car. In real life for the suspension it would of had a leaf spring setup with an extra leaf in one side and a pinion snubber. Nothing like that four link setup that you posted, that would be a little more modern then the era of what this model reflects. And a level 2 race mod? Playstations Gran Turismo terms really shouldn't be carried out into day to day conversation. For the exhaust, yes open headers!!! That is correct for a drag car. Some would run exhaust if the track had a decibel level. Or if it was their street car also. But even then it wouldn't be a full exhaust. It would be a set of header mufflers attached to the headers or a set of mufflers that dump off before the rear end. That way if they wanted to remove the exhaust for open headers, it would be easy to do. And for the Nascars that you posted, they to have little exhaust. Basically they had a pipe that ran under the car and exited somewhere before the rear tires.

I don't see anyone getting bent out of shape like you say, all i've seen is people offering up advice to make your model look a little better and some facts about cars. Like me with the firewall, It's part of the body, It should be painted body color, not black like GM or Ford did.

• 3 months later...

Juan, I just found this thread and I have to say it's a very clean build! Beautifully done.

Not bad for a BMX guy!!! :lol:

BTW, you may remember me from Vintage BMX and BMX Museum. I've talked with you a while ago.

Again, excellent build on this Charger!

Mike.