Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 Petty Charger

ratnasty

Hello guys I just recently bought a factory sealed Petty car for a good price and when I opened it I found that the decals had big scrape through the roof decal on the number 3 and the decals were printed with a big misalignment. So I sat down this afternoon and redrew a new set and will print them out on my Alps printer , hopefully I can get the stripes the right color , I'll play around with it till I get it right . Here are the factory MPC decals and my redrawn set

thanks
Chuck
let me know what you think

MPCPETTY-vi.jpg

EBAYCOPY-vi.jpg

Edited by ratnasty

Very nice job on those decals. One small thing though...you might want to check on the colour of the borders and drop shadow around the numbers; I *Believe* they were almost always a dark blue but are represented as black on most decal sheets due to reference photos being mostly black and white and the actual shade of blue used was dark enough to appear near black in colour photos taken at a distance. The shade of blue is close to what the pettys used on their suspension components.

Very nice job on those decals. One small thing though...you might want to check on the colour of the borders and drop shadow around the numbers; I *Believe* they were almost always a dark blue but are represented as black on most decal sheets due to reference photos being mostly black and white and the actual shade of blue used was dark enough to appear near black in colour photos taken at a distance. The shade of blue is close to what the pettys used on their suspension components.

More often than not, the drop shadows were dark blue, almost a NAVY blue. However, some cars of this era did occaisionally have black drop shadow, so either is correct.

WOW! I just bought the '73 Petty MPC Charger , My decals are perfect, But I'd love to make this version out of it....My kit is mint inside....But I've always wanted to build this version .......Looks like I'll be needing a set of these.....And the Billy The Kid Demon decals.....Send me a PM about them.