Model Cars Magazine Forum

Frankie Goes To Hollywood

Dr. Cranky

Ah, thanks guys . . . I really appreciate it . . . I'm just trying to share some of the fun . . . I remember seeing others before do translations of Jairus's work and always thinking it would be a blast, AND IT IS!!!

Mr. Gregg, if you are interested in an article, the good news is that I've gotten all three of Jairus' illustrations for this latest wonderful issue of MC and I plan to build all three, so you let me know what you'd need from me in terms of word count and I will reread the photography specs you require . . . I think I read them somewhere . . . oh, the latest issue?

I could be wrong.

Stay tuned in for more progress . . . cheers.

All right, a little progress on the body was made . . . I primered the cab, cab interior and bed yesterday, then this morning I went back through with that new Tamiya primer/filler (you see the white spots?) and filled a few places where I didn't like the gap. I mean, what I like about doing these kinds of builds is that you don't really have to stress out too much about body imperfections, but you don't want to overdo it either . . .

33-vi.jpg

Since Jairus's illustration doesn't show the rear of the bed, I took some liberties here and added what I think are a few nice touches, including a liscense plate holder, and then I drilled the holes for a chain that's going to be placed on the bed once it is finished being painted . . .

43-vi.jpg

And here's the cab interior. I did a bit of work on it so that it looks nice, though it will still be ratted out somewhat . . .

0052-vi.jpg

A bit more progress to report on this morning . . . .

I put the tires and wheels together and I think they came out just right . . . though I still have to paint the CHEVROLET letters read on the chrome covers . . .

0012-vi.jpg

The illustration's yellow has a creamier look to it that I tried to replicate . . .

0032-vi.jpg

I also worked on the taillights just to have them ready for when the bed (which is the first body part I will paint) is ready . . .

0042-vi.jpg

I've been back to the engine, getting it ready for wiring before I paint it . . . though I am going to be true to the illustration, I will put some subtle weathering on it, like all engines take, you know . . .

I put a couple of plastic rod pegs on top of the carbs so that my aluminum tubing will sit straight and sturdy . . .

0052-vi.jpg

I did the exact same thing to the exhaust . . . hope it works when it is time to line everything up neat . . .

0062-vi.jpg

0072-vi.jpg

I've been back to the engine, getting it ready for wiring before I paint it . . . though I am going to be true to the illustration, I will put some subtle weathering on it, like all engines take, you know . . .

I put a couple of plastic rod pegs on top of the carbs so that my aluminum tubing will sit straight and sturdy . . .

0052-vi.jpg

I did the exact same thing to the exhaust . . . hope it works when it is time to line everything up neat . . .

0062-vi.jpg

0072-vi.jpg

This looks so incredible! I love the build and I am sure that Jairrus does as well. You really are capturing the essence of the drawing. I tend to not like these builds, but this really has gotten me into the idea of building one for myself. I guess my parts box would consist of an ENZO v12, 20" Ordens, a chassis from a Jeep, lol, and the do-dads from every other modern car I have laying around. I think I might need to pick up some of these older kits and try though. You really have inspired me to try one of these. Looks fantastic!

Virgil,

Just a thought, paint a little 50/50 mix of a black wash over those rims and they will look much better. Remember, this is suppose to be a used and driven car. I usually use a 0/4 brush and just touch the cracks allowing the wash to simply flow into the crack. But, you might need to spray a clearcoat on the rims first to seal in the paint. Sometimes the wash will soften the base color and allow the plastic to show through.... That is a bummer!

Thanks, J . . . that allows me quite a bit of freedom . . . since I've been trying my hardes to replicate your art, but if the artist himself says to weather accordingly so I shall, which is, since you are not familiar with my work, most of what I have fun doing . . . here's an example from last year . . .

IMG_4760-vi.jpg

So I will be in my element, sort of! :):blink::blink:

IMG_4761-vi.jpg

Listen, everyone, you might as well scrap my radiator hose idea . . . well, not all of it . . . use the thin wire wrapped around solder wire . . . you can play around with the diameter according to what you need the hose for, and then use heat-shrink tubing, and this is what you will get:

0032-vi.jpg

I still can't believe how real it looks . . .

Okay, took Jairus's advice not to have the wheels be so clean like the illustration . . . (apparently he is having extreme weathering withdrawals :PB) ) . . . so I used some diluted Vallejo acrylic ink brown and toned down the wheels . . . it's made a big difference, here's the comparo:

The new wheels (I mean weathered, sorry!): :blink:

0012-vi.jpg

And the old (clean and pretty!):

0012-vi.jpg

Also, I'm going to have to break out my magnifying glass to paint CHEVROLET red on those caps . . . :lol:

Edited by DamnCranky

Ah, thanks guys . . . I really appreciate it . . . I'm just trying to share some of the fun . . . I remember seeing others before do translations of Jairus's work and always thinking it would be a blast, AND IT IS!!!

Mr. Gregg, if you are interested in an article, the good news is that I've gotten all three of Jairus' illustrations for this latest wonderful issue of MC and I plan to build all three, so you let me know what you'd need from me in terms of word count and I will reread the photography specs you require . . . I think I read them somewhere . . . oh, the latest issue?

I could be wrong.

Stay tuned in for more progress . . . cheers.

He called me Mr.!!!!!!!!

I like this guy already!!!!!!

Send me some original pics, unedited, and we can go from there.

Great build!

I'm glad I thought of the subject for that Sketch Pad!

How refreshing, a model car magazine editor with a sense of humor . . . man, that's rare . . . Is this the person I am talking to here?:

gregghat.jpg

Well, I hear through the grapevine that you are a rich pineapple plantation owner with deep pockets and an uncanny ability to smell talent all the way from the beautiful island of Hawaii! B):blink::lol: This might indeed be the beginning of a beautiful relationship, and I do look like Bogart! :P

Riding around in your limo, drinking mint juleps and playing chess with the limo driver, a man named "Scrapple" Bigguns?

All right, buddy, but I am assuming that when you say: "send me unedited pictures," you mean electronically . . . all the pictures for this build, in case you have not gone there yet are here:

http://public.fotki.com/vsuarez666/voodoo-...e-auto-salvage/

Thanks, y'all . . . I appreciate the encouragement.

It's yet ANOTHER rainy day in North Florida, so the painting is on hold . . . I just have to primer a few more parts . . . but I have also the front part of the hood and the bed ready, so I anxious to shoot some of the custom color I mixed . . .

I am putting some subtle rust spots here and there on some of the panels just to make it seem like a natural decay taking place . . . and hopefully Jairus will think it's the right thing to do . . .

I am saving the cab body for last because that's the one that's going to require the most work, and layers of paint . . . and here's a list of steps I have to do for it to work:

1. primer

2. a coat of rust color

3. apply rubber cement resist

4. a coat of white (to lighten the blue and also make the paint look a little faded

5. final coat of blue

6. a little fogging here and there with maybe some white and gray

We'll see . . .

The same method will be used on the cab, except that before I spray #2, I have to shoot a medium gray to then apply to rub on letters (for which I have made a guiding template). After I apply the rub on letters, I have to shoot silver all around the weld seams, and then continue with all the other steps which includes #7, which is to come back with some rust and a brush to detail . . .

I am keeping my fingers crossed about how when the whole thing dries, I should be able to remove the letters and the rubber cement resist with tape . . . and it should revel the final look, or close to it . . .

In principle it should work, but we'll see how it goes . . . what's the worse that can happen, that I have to strip the paint off and start all over again? B):blink:

:blink: I BELIVE!!!!! You can do anything....

I have some sketches of rat rods that

I thout were nothing like Ive seen.

BOY!!!!!!! You have blown me away.

out of a truck??? what a concept!!!!!

Dude I'M not wordy!!! I.m NOT WORDY!!!!

Thank you Bro!, keep up dazziling us. :rolleyes:

Thanks, gents . . . I feel like I'm making molasses slow progress, but hey it's progress . . . and yes, I'm trying to stay true to the illustration . . . though I feel much better J has said I can deviate a little here and there . . .

It's also great to have Jarius around to but him with some of the datails . . .

Like J, I'm assuming the headlight buckets are body color? Right? Light blue?

There's a hint of chorme, but that's just the light rim . . .

Anyhoo, it's been fun so far . . .

Thanks for getting back to me, J, just in time too . . . I think I will go with the '39 Chevy headlights in blue . . . though I'm very tempted to hit them up with that rim yellow too . . . but other than the hood front piece, there's very little of the body color up front, and I love it . . . Okay, I'm set to go then . . . . let the painting begin!!!

Stay tuned in for more progress . . . <_<

THANK YOU! By the way! Cheers.

The moment of truth is finally upon this build . . . and the question remains, will it be possible to do all of the steps necessary to get the right paint and graphics to get this body as close to the original as possible . . . only time will tell . . . I have made a little progress today, but decided to bite the bullet and see if this thing is truly going to work . . . the way I look at it is why continue if the main attraction to this build, which for me is the cab can't be pulled of . . .

So if you have the time, take a ride down nerve-wrecking lane with me!!! Or nail-down-to-nubs as is my case here . . .

I had primered the body a few days ago, sanded it down, primered it again until I got some of that weld/seam to blend in a little bit better . . .

So today, I took my Iwata Micron B, put a few drops of medium grey acrylic and shot the middle of the panel where the lettering will go . . . .

001-vi.jpg

I did both sides to make a nice darkened rectangle . . .

002-vi.jpg

I decided after I shot the medium gray that the letters would come out a bit too light, so I went ahead and shot a darker gray on the door panels and went ahead and darkened the weld seams in hopes they will stand out a bit under the final color.

005-vi.jpg

I tried my best to give the letter foundation a mottled look so that it would also show through as a bit rough and weathered . . . here I am holding my breath and keeping my fingers crossed.

006-vi.jpg

With my handy divider, I cut out a template from .20 styrene so that I can draw a guiding line on the body, lightly over the gray . . .

004-vi.jpg

It was a lucky break that I though of using a pencil so that the graphite, under the light, would shine through the material of the rub on letters and guide me . . .

I decided to go with Woodland Scenics dry transfers because this particular sheet brought the two sizes I needed . . .

007-vi.jpg

But you can find all the different sizes and styles (if you are lucky) at your local Office Depot . . . also, I ended up using the pencil lead to rub the letters on . . .