Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cotton Owens 1969 Daytona progress...New Pictures (13/06/12)

DR JAY

I recently began this project and after a few weeks of fabrication I have a basic mock up completed of the major components like the cage and chassis. I'm using a Revell Pro Modeler kit with PPP wheels. The future holds paint code matched Charger red and Yesterday's Decals, but there's still LOTS of scratchbuilding to go. I'll put up more pics in the near future as more gets done. Here's the link to more pictures...

( 13/06/12)New additions...I put up some more pictures of some detail parts and sub assemblies. I haven't the time as of late to spend on fixing up the quality of the newest pictures, but you can get the idea of what's going on. Detail painting will of course make everything much clearer. I had to make a new rear end when the 1st hit the floor and snapped an axle tube. The dash may have to go as well, but I'll decide when it's painted. There's stil a LOT to go...

http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/drjay2/library/?sort=3&page=1

For some reason, there's extra pics of other models after the Daytona pics...time to fix up the Photobucket site!

post-9878-0-80431000-1370228931_thumb.jp

Edited by DR JAY

This is a great build....can you share the source of your references? I've got a '67 Charger I started that's in the box. How close are your details accurate for a car three years older?

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks for the kind reviews...My available time for modeling is limited. I got this much done due to a blown out knee and time off work, but my woman is encouraging me to spend MORE time in the cave so I'll keep on motoring.

RATNASTY: PM me here or at Randy's and I can hopefully answer any questions you have. I'm NO EXPERT; just a former racer/Crew Chief of Dirt Mopars and a former tech with a quarter century of dirty hands and skinned knuckles.Some guys over there actually OWN these cars, so their advice is worth more than mine in accuracy.

IBORG: There are 2 museum K&K Insurance cars out there...the "Cheated Up" land speed/former GN Daytona and a 1969 Tunnelback Charger. The tunnelback was actually a 1967 car that the current owner apparently "Restored" (Actually; Rebodied...) because he liked the look of the 69 over the 67. The cage, chassis and dash are all 67 pieces.That car would be a good source of info. PM me and I can see if I can put my pictures on a CD for you and send it out. I think I have over 400 assorted Mopar reference shots. Your car would have a different K-member due to the wet sump engine in 67...different shaped pan and K-Member. A 67 Petty cage is different from a Nichels cage and those dimensions are covered in Bill Coulter's book on building model stock cars (...as well as a LOT of errors- that's where the research comes in.)

That being said, I can help anyone who asks to the best of my knowledge or ability. I'm no expert; I just enjoy building accurate Grand National Stock Car Replicas.

Cool! Didn't know they had NASCAR in the "wilds of Manitoba" :lol: . Can't wait to see more.

Yeah, there's plenty of NA$CAR in the wilds of Manitoba- especially my place- but, my video archives end in the late 70's/early 80's with the introduction of radials.I haven't watched a MASSCAR race in 13 years. The money has gotten out of hand- even our local dirt guys pull two car enclosed trailers with a highway tractor now...we used to pull with a 1/2 ton and a homebuilt (Read: Sketchy.) open trailer and hope we made enough to get home...

• 1 month later...

Jason, the passion you have for your cars shows in the quality of your builds. You have a great eye for detail and your exacution is fantastic. I'm not a fan of NASCAR models any more, but you make me want to build one. Its too bad you have to cover up all that masterful detail work you have done with paint. Keep up the good work and stay true to your project. I cant wait to see this one complete.