Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped '30 model A Coupe, mockup 1

Ace-Garageguy

Thanks for the interest and comments. There's a ton of work to do on this one, and I don't know when I'll get back to it. I wanted to dial in the stance and proportions during a spurt of inspiration. I'll be using an AMT blobular '32 frame, heavily modified. Currently looking for a deeply dropped front axle.

A LOT of model A (1928-1932) bodied hot rods have been built on '32 frames in 1:1, and so is this one.Though the frame under construction for this model is based on the AMT '32 version, the Revell '32 frames will also work perfectly.

To build a channeled car like the model shown above, the Revell frame has to be pinched slightly at the firewall (just like a real one) and about 12 scale inches have to be removed from the rear of the frame rails (again, very much like a real one).

To build a non-channeled car, the Revell '32 frames can be used with almost no modification, though you may want to shorten the rear of the frame and relocate the fuel tank.

=================================================================

This is an un-channeled '30-'31 body perched on a '32 frame. Notice the relationship of the firewall and the front of the reveal on the frame rail.

380543795205_0_0.jpg?t=1311968743

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

thanks I know the amts 32 is a mess but the revel is a sweet heart

Yes, and the Revell frames have the molded-in reveal on the sides to look right as an un-channeled car like the photo above. One thing to keep in mind though, is that the Monogram model A coupe body shell (green above) is labeled as being 1/24 scale, while the Revell '32 frames are 1/25. It's necessary to kind of pay attention to this discrepancy to get the right 'look' for the project.

In reality, the '32 frame has a wheelbase that's 2.5 inches longer than a model A (103.5 vs 106). Though this may not seem like much, if you don't get the 1/24 body in the right place on the 1/25 frame, you can easily end up with goofy looking proportions. I tend to stretch the wheelbase even more to get the look I want by going to a spring-behind front axle, or by relocating the front crossmember slightly forward, or even going to a suicide style front spring mount. Just a thought.