Model Cars Magazine Forum

67/68 camaro grill

Modelhaus produces one

I`m currently building both the AMT `67 and `68 Camaro kits and wanted to convert one of them to an RS Camaro. It was also suggested to me that I contact Modelhaus for the RS grill. So I called them and actually spoke directly with the folks at Modelhaus. They told me "These grilles fit only the original issues of the `68/`67 Camaro kits and not any reissues from the 70ties 80ties era."

"The `67-`68 AMT kits that most of us have are reproductions from the 80ties or so and will not accommodate the original Modelhaus `67 or `68 grills cast for the original issued 60ties era kits."

Later someone else told me that the problem was the original `67 Camaro kit grill (the one that Modelhaus cast is from) has more "V" in it than the later AMT kits, hence it will stick out in the middle. They said inorder to make the Modelhause grill fit correctly the grill had to be cut in the middle and then filed from the center on both sides until each half would fit together and layed in grill opening flush with the "V" of the body and then the two half's had to be glued back together at the correct angle. They also advised that I shouldn`t get the Modelhause grill for the MPC '68 Camaro, because it would have the same fit problems.

However, I am hoping I have found a solution to my RS grill problem. I stumbled upon a `67-`68 Camaro RS grill cast by Time Machine Resin. I have placed an order for Option #2 the 1967-1968 Camaro SS Grill with Hideaways part # PT-0004 which is the RS grill by itself.

NOTE: The part has not arrived so I cannot speak to how well this aftermarket `67-`68 RS Camaro grill actually fits...sorry. But, I`ll post the final results once it arrives and I have test fitted everything. :-)

Time Machine Resin has two options:

Option #1-1967Camaro SS with Hideaway Set #H-007. It fits the AMT/ERTL kits and includes SS hood, RS grill and SS gas tank cap.

67camaroSSwithHideawaysetFitsERTLkitsH-0

Option #2-1967-68 Camaro SS Grill with Hideaways #PT-0004. It fits the AMT/ERTL kits and includes only the RS grill . 1967-68CamaroSSGrillwithHideawaysPT-0004

Hope this helps.

69NovaYenko

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I used the Model Car Garage photoetch grille insert on this "newer tool" AMT '67 Camaro.

67CamaroSS3962.jpg

The set is pretty comprehensive if you are going to do an accurate '67 Camaro. The Bumble bee stripe is an old Fred Cady item, but Keith Marks does a very nice '67 Camaro Decal set, which should be currently available.

Just for grins, here is my original AMT '67 Camaro SS Annual, which is awaiting its turn in line to be rebuilt.

67CamaroSS3.jpg

I am currently building a factory stock replica of a family members 1967 Rally Sport Hardtop, using one of the latter released AMT 1967 Z-28 kits (# 31767, the one with the 68 side marker lamps and separate vent windows). I have both the Modelhaus and Time Machine resin grilles, and both fit this kit just fine (?). One thing that I'm surprised that no one has mentioned concerns the separate front body valance panel. As all of you know, when the Rally Sport package was ordered, the turn signal/parking lamps were relocated from the grille to the front valance panel. They were small square recessed lamps. To my knowledge, no one has ever cast this component in resin or otherwise. I asked about this years ago on the "other forum" and didn't even get a reply. The back-up lamps were also relocated from the tail lamps to the rear valance, but that's easy to modify with parts box lamps, and Modelhaus tail lamp housing and lenses. Creating the wheel opening moldings and Rally Sport specific sill moldings are fairly simple with strip styrene and soldier. Any constructive suggestions concerning the front valance issue are welcome. :o Fury3

Edited by fury3

Hi Fury it good to hear from you. As I stated earlier I`m building both the `67 and `68 Camaro`s. This is good news to hear that both the Modelhaus and Time Machine Rally Sport resin grilles fit just fine. I hadn't given it any thought until you mentioned it, but based i the overall design of the RS grill it makes sense that the Rally Sport package would have its turn signal/parking lamps relocated from the grille to the front valance panel. Like you I`m puzzled why some resin caster has not addressed this detail.Thanks for bringing that detail to light..now I`ll have to ponder how to address it.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I would think that some small pieces of Evergreen could be used to replicate those front marker lights. Probably because it was unique to the 67 & 68 bodies only did they get overlooked.

Glad to see you here Dave! Long time no chat.