Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 DESOTO - - FINISHED == NEW CLASS OF '56

Ramfins59

This period of American automobile design was the most "liberated"; the variety of design philosophies was staggering and the competition fierce. Partially it was because there were still enough brands and independent corporations to make competing worthwhile, partially it was the postwar recovery boom and the sense of relief in the air after emerging from 20 years of war, desperation and economic strife, and partially it was at the end of the unregulated era in the auto industry before everyone overplayed their hand and today's legislative regime began to take hold. IMHO it was a unique time that conspired to make these cars magical.

For myself, my paint and foil skills are just arriving at the point where I can begin to consider tackling these beasts. Your "Class of" collections, with the skills and insight that go with them, are an inspiration. I especially enjoy the resourcefulness you show to overcome the foibles and inaccuracies of the material you start from. And the interiors are always a treat! Thanx for sharing! B):)

Bernard, thank you so much for your kind comments. I love your insight into the great styling of these fabulous 1950's cars. Model car interiors have always been one of my favorite parts of building. I always use Google images for good reference material to try to get most of the details right, or at least close, and I always try to use colors that compliment the color of the car. Thanks again.