Model Cars Magazine Forum

1979 Foxbody notchback T-Top

MsDano85gt

post-10166-0-77131300-1376791695_thumb.j

this is one of the "very few" reference pics I could find

notchback t -top foxbody cars were far and few between

my basis for the workings was the "mad" (morgan automotive detail)

awesome resin kit by the way of the 79 notchback stang

my body had twisted a bit (probly from switching front nose pcs)

went with the revell 82'? gt? looking front end from the turbo cobra kits

that very same kit also became the donor for the front half of the roof and the a pillars ( the resin ones are very thin, and I cut the front edge of the roof too thin)

I epoxy'd all the resin roof components back together and putty'd the assembly and put it back on the revell body and made it a hardtop (originally sunroof) win win situation for both canidates glued the resin 79 nosecone on the revell body and applied the chin spoiler looks good

the turbo kits did not have "sail" panels so I am filling those in and seeing what a older fox looks like without them so far pretty clean!

post-10166-0-50816200-1376792162_thumb.jpost-10166-0-50024900-1376792176_thumb.jpost-10166-0-38435100-1376792192_thumb.j

by the way I highly recommend the "mad" notchback kit

even though I warped mine and couldn't fix it so I am "modding it" and hopefully the shape will hold after all the epoxy and superglue finish drying and I take the interior out from under to paint and detail it!

more to come

Edited by MsDano85gt

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the editor at 5.0 Mustang magazine K.J. Jones has an 86 T-top coupe. It actually started life that way as well, but in true fox body fashion his has been severely modified documented in the pages of the magazine.

You sure do love your Fox bodies Daniel! Looking forward to seeing more

I believe the editor at 5.0 Mustang magazine K.J. Jones has an 86 T-top coupe. It actually started life that way as well, but in true fox body fashion his has been severely modified documented in the pages of the magazine.

Jones car has never actually been confirmed as a legit t top notch. Many we're done at the dealer level. There are rumors of a couple 87s and an early 88 roaming around. I have seen this operation performed and its not too terribly hard. Nothing is welded in

• 4 months later...

Pic-09152013-002_zps3d6a2124.jpg

finally got the paint i wanted to look just right....... its about as close as i can get to fords light regatta blue color

now i need to figure out how ro remove the painted front glass without damage to the body i left it in place for structual support during painting and dry fitting the car together....

• 2 months later...

101_6821_zps8d738645.jpg

101_6822_zps7e215cab.jpg

101_6820_zps6a656bc5.jpg

updated on the 79' notchback,

have mostly all of the black trimwork painted/ black sharpie marker'd in except the sail panels,

the red stripe is painted on the rub strips, headlamp and taillamp/ foglamp openings all painted chromesilver,

just now need to touchup headlamp buckets and rubstrip mouldings with black, paint in the amber/ orange for the marking / park/ turn lamps glue in my tail lamps.....

will try and get some interior shots soonB)

more updates to come with interior pics

I got a parts kit revell notchback i may build that chassis and put it under this notchback even though i already have the regular chassis plate carpet flocked in lt. blue, and other interior prepped and painted.....

we will see

starting to have a very sinister look to it even though its not painted black!

101_6821_zps8d738645.jpg

101_6822_zps7e215cab.jpg

101_6820_zps6a656bc5.jpg

updated on the 79' notchback,

have mostly all of the black trimwork painted/ black sharpie marker'd in except the sail panels,

the red stripe is painted on the rub strips, headlamp and taillamp/ foglamp openings all painted chromesilver,

just now need to touchup headlamp buckets and rubstrip mouldings with black, paint in the amber/ orange for the marking / park/ turn lamps glue in my tail lamps.....

will try and get some interior shots soonB)

more updates to come with interior pics

I got a parts kit revell notchback i may build that chassis and put it under this notchback even though i already have the regular chassis plate carpet flocked in lt. blue, and other interior prepped and painted.....

we will see

starting to have a very sinister look to it even though its not painted black!

Looks really good looking forward to the update....

Lookin' good Dano! Since I'm hard of understanding, does the M.A.D. coupe come with a sunroof and you added the T-top? I love this build. Do you plan on keeping it close to stock, or are you going to modernize it?

the "MAD" resins comes as a solid hardtop coupe...... my body had slightly twisted/ warped as i had not worked with resin a whole lot, when that happened, and the money i spent on the mad kit i figured i might as well customize it some..... so on went the revell cobra front clip, and i cut out for the t bar, added the revell a pillar posts and front roof section. When i glued the front window in place for primer and paintwork i had the chassis underneath temporarily as well all of this seems to have worked out my warp issue, kinda worked out for the cool factor! B) not going too over the top crazy regular 302 v8 power manual 6 speed tranny not too far fetched from a real 1:1 car..... may do svt ford wheels

• 9 months later...

Lookin' good Dano! Since I'm hard of understanding, does the M.A.D. coupe come with a sunroof and you added the T-top? I love this build. Do you plan on keeping it close to stock, or are you going to modernize it?

mad resin body is a solid hardtop, I added the t-roof myself its from a mpc kit so it fits flawlessly for the mostpart i have been experimentiong as well with removing "sunroof" roof sections on the revell 1/25 kits (mclaren Orange molded, and mustang turbo cobra also orange molded) other various re issues over the years and grafting in t bars on the revell cars too they turn out pretty well even went as zaney as adding the cheesegrader lamps from mpc kits to the back of a revell kit pretty wicked actually B)

• 6 months later...

I still laugh about that. When he first bought it and was asking what he should do with it, I emailed and said they should restore it and not cut it up. I was called a Mustang Melvin in the quote. I called and cancelled my subscription. 

Dano how did the IRS line up on the fox frame? If its like the 1:1, not much modding is needed.