Model Cars Magazine Forum

Re-pop or all new; I'll take it! The fatboy is the only one I am lacking to have every 1/6 bike in the box. I enjoy building the big bikes; and am super stoked to see new tooling from Tamiya!!! I wish they would do some of the Japanese cruisers; like the royal star, roadstar, or Honda 1100 shadows in 1/6....I guy can only hope.............Matt

I got excited when I head Tamiya was doing a 1:6 Harley. I was praying that it would be a 72 though, every time I see one in a show room I got crazy over it.

Glitter-vi.jpg

(The one to the far right)

I'm still glad to see a Fat Boy. It's not my favorite Harley but it's still a step in the right direction.

Yes it´s an all new "Fat Boy Lo" and it looks like the actual 2013 model. It will have the Twin Cam Engine. The old Fat Boy comes with the Evolution Engine.

If I read it right on the tamiya homepage, the cylinders comes as seperate parts fin by fin. Google made this translation from their homepage: a stacked assembly method the cylinder head and cylinder, 1584cc air-cooled V-twin engine as a center of attraction to reproduce sharp cooling fin chiseled.

I hope they take the chance, to make a first class model without the old phillips screws and put so much detail in it, like they do in every military scale model.

I´m looking forward to get the new Fat Boy Lo and hope they make a Black Line, Slim or a Wide Glide too.

Always good to see a new Harley kit .

The new kit would have to be all new as the two Fatboy's , Evo and Twin Cam , share very little in the way of parts. Being a Harley mechanic and wrenching on both bikes gives me a little 'hands on' knowledge.

Here's a little fun:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234945364-new-tamiya-big-bike/

I do believe the green bike is a Sportster having the rear drive belt on the right side of the bike, but I dont think any of those are factory bikes . Perhaps you could clarify what '72' means?

cright3.jpg

Edited by krow113

Okay there was some confusion. The 72 is a sportster,but a variation of the sportster. For example there is the Ford Mustang and the Shelby Mustang, same platform but with respective differences.

Never heard of a '72' with regard to a Sportster, got any pix to clarify?

Thank you ,Steve

Never mind I googled it:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_CA/Motorcycles/seventy-two.html

Still the bikes in the previous shot all have side tail lights ,these are pretty much illegal in todays world.

Why? The plate is not visible from all angles at the rear of the bike, makes it hard for the po-lice robot licence plate readers to see. Those silly 'safety pin' seat springs are a dead giveaway its not a 'factory' bike as well. I love the metalflake though!

On a trivia note I dont recall any Sportster model kits , other than the Revell "Then came Bronson" kit from the '70's.

Thank you ,Steve

Edited by krow113

They do not come from the factory with the seat I understand, but I would say that more than half of them I have seen the dealers put a seat similar to this one on it.

http://accessories.harley-davidson.ca/product/seats/solo-spring-saddle-white-diamond Or this one http://accessories.harley-davidson.ca/product/seats/solo-spring-saddle-black-leather. Most dealerships in the USA that get this bike add a few things on to the bike to make it look more "Vintage" I've seen seals like that,leather fringe,Ape hangers, and more. Granted they cost a few extra bucks because of the parts, but your buying a Harley, chances of you keeping it stock and not purchasing any aftermarket parts for your bike are very slim. And I also check the side mounted plate laws in the USA. The conclusion I have come to since most vary by state is it's fine if that's the stock location except for in California.

Yup. Wait a few years they will all be illegal. Harley did it on a Sportster model a few years ago but it did prove to be problematic.

Here is me in '02 sitting on the chopper I built in the custom bike shop I worked in for over 15 years:

101-0169_IMG.jpg

...and the finished bike:

101-0181_IMG.jpg

s2.jpg

Handmade frame ,pipes , rail , many stainless parts , rode the hell out of it for 5 years and sold it for 40K , helluva bike.

I envy you for this job!

Ha ! They told me when I started: "Be careful what you wish for!"

Did turn out to be well worth it , worked on all kinds of Harleys , it has a world wide reputation as one of the best frame straightening

shps .I saw some unreal work on wrecked frames.

Same bike outside the rear of the shop:

s3.jpg