Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannot find correct color code

Hey guys I'm trying to find the correct paint color to use on a build. It is a 65 or 66 1 ton Chevy panel truck. I have been told that the color appeared to be gold but was really some kind of lime green. I have only seen b/w pictures of the truck so don't have anything to compare to. I have checked online and can't find a green option that looks gold when viewed on the monitor. Most color pictures I have found have been repainted with modern colors so isn't any help.

I primarily use craft acrylics thinned with future or something so I don't even have good knowledge regarding real hobby paints.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

If you're really serious, you can often find original chip-book pages for a particular vehicle online for little money. Colors do not always reproduce accurately on a monitor, and paint-store data may have been compromised over the years. This can be frustrating when doing a 1:1 restoration.

Here's a 1965 Chevy truck color chip-book page for $5. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Chevrolet-and-Diamond-T-Truck-Color-Paint-Chip-Sheet-Acme-Products-/350732537958?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a949d066&vxp=mtr

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I'm having the same problem finding the color for a '96 Impalas SS, the paint codes and chips available online and in auto shops don't match the ones I've seen on the street, it's a rare color. Online is easiest, or a good auto body store can also help.

The '94-'96 Impala SS only came in 3 colors, Black (all), Black Cherry ('95-'96), and Bright Aqua Pearl (96). All 3 colors are available in the Testors Laquer paint line. Balck and Black Cherry are the most common colors seen on them.