Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mixing candy paints

I was wondering if you could mix candy color paints for a custom candy color. I imagine it could be done for HOK or Duplicolor, but I don't want to buy them by the quart. I was thinking more along the lines of scalefinishes, Alclad, Tamiya, etc. I am picking up the hobby again after 20 years, and had never really painted with anything other than rattle can or Testors enamel out of the bottle before. I am converting to airbrush, and just want to learn as much as I can.

No reason why you can't mix candy colors to get a different shade, even a different color. However (and this should go without saying!), be sure to use only candy colors by the same manufacturer AND from the same series of paints--if you mix different brands of paint together, you run the risk of making little more than a big mess.

Art

No reason why you can't mix candy colors to get a different shade, even a different color. However (and this should go without saying!), be sure to use only candy colors by the same manufacturer AND from the same series of paints--if you mix different brands of paint together, you run the risk of making little more than a big mess.

Art

Thanks, Art. I had heard candy paint was tricky to work with/lay down, and didn't want to mess anything up.

Adam

It's a good idea to test your custom color on a scrap body, plastic spoon, etc, before spraying it on to your project. I have a hideous Aston Martin DBS as evidence. I was shooting for candy burgundy but it looks kind of orange-red.

You'll definitley want to test any custom mix candy on a scrap body or plastic spoon before you shoot it on to your build body. I had a bad experience recently with a custom mixed candy that simply did not work as expected. What I was after was a candy teal/aqua color, figured mixing a little green into blue would work, as I had done something similar before and got very good results. Seems the particular brand of paint I was using (a no longer available line) doesn't work as well as one would think for color mixing, especially the candy blue. The pigmnets in the blue are rather weak, the green overpowered it. I ended up with a, for lack of a better description, Booger Green candy, which looks as bad as one would think it would. I don't have nay pix, as it went pretty much right into the purple pond. I still plan on trying for the color again, but next time I'll test it first, and use a different paint line, most likely Testors or Tamiya, or possibly the new Alclad line.