Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which Porsche to Build?

Hi, I have a hankering to do a Porsche (~1/25 scale) but can't decide which one. I kinda like older cars, such as 911s, but a later Porsche might also be of interest. Of course, I would like a well molded kit with good detail.

I'm already going to build a 917K so would like a road car in this instance.

Which car (and kit) would you build if you only had one choice? Thanks..

Hi, I have a hankering to do a Porsche (~1/25 scale) but can't decide which one. I kinda like older cars, such as 911s, but a later Porsche might also be of interest. Of course, I would like a well molded kit with good detail.

Feel free to ignore my input if you have already decided. I'm going to second Jeff's suggestion and recommend the Tamiya Carrera GT. If you really want a "well molded kit with good detail" you won't find a better kit than the Carrera GT. I love older Porsches, too, but the Fujimi kits leave a lot to be desired. If you like headaches, build a Fujimi 356 or 911. If you want flawless engineering equal to the subject, go with the Tamiya.

177-7754_IMG.jpg

DSCN1706.jpg

DSCN1513.jpg

DSCN1759.jpg

170-7078_IMG.jpg

DSCN1650.jpg

DSCN1395.jpg

I hear you Chilly; I've heard that the Fujimi kits create stress. I'm going to try and replicate the 1953 Carrera PanAmerica rally car now owned and driven by Andy Prill. I saw a photo of it from the Goodwood Festival of Speed. It's a nice two-tone blue and white - and decals are avaialble. I know I said I wanted a road car but at least this one will be almost a road car.

... I'm going to try and replicate the 1953 Carrera PanAmerica rally car now owned and driven by Andy Prill. I saw a photo of it from the Goodwood Festival of Speed...

Very cool project. If you're going for accuracy, be aware that the '53 car is a 356, and to the best of my knowledge only the 356A and later cars are available as kits (I COULD be wrong). There are subtle but significant differences in the 356 and the 356A, including a V-eed windshield. Not too hard to correct, but it won't be a straight box-build with added decals.

That is an excellent choice, indeed. Good luck with the project. It is an ambitious goal. If I were doing it, I'd just paint the 356A in that scheme and slap on the decals.

In any event, keep in mind the above when choosing future Porsche projects. I also love the 956 kits from Tamiya and have built a few of those; I highly recommend that to you.

Hi Ace and Chilly, I don't think I'll go with total accuracy; just make the 356A "look" as close to the rally car as the Fujimi kit allows. From what I can make out from the box art and a photo of the 1:1 car I don't think there aren't too many major differences. Of course, once I get the kit in hand and get additional 1:1 phots some changes make become more apparent.

I will keep in mind the Tamiya 956 kits for a future foray into the Porsche world.