Model Cars Magazine Forum

New here and where to buy

That's a big question with many different answers. Here are some:

You can buy kits at Hobby Lobby. Use a coupon to get 40% off. Can be found in Hobby Lobby website.

eBay is a literal treasure trove of model kits. Old, new, rare, junk yards...you can find anything and everything there - and shop diligently and you can get good prices.

Jiminohio.com is a nice selection of OOP kits at a decent price.

Model Roundup has a big selection but high prices.

Tower Hobbies plastic model site has a big selection of new kits and offers free shipping regularly.

As for tools:

Xacto knife or two

Selection of basic paint colors - black, silver, etc

and cleaner

Sanding sticks or paper

CA glue (super glue)

Paint brushes

Toothpicks

I would try Hobby Lobby first they have a pretty good selection and you can find about anything you need to know about building one right here just do a search for what you are looking for and there is a huge amount of builders here that are willing to help you out just have to post the questions, hope this helps. :D

Try your local hobby shop. Check out some of the modeling clubs in your area, there are several in Ca, that Have swap meets who cater to modelers. It seems like there is always something, Auto related every weekend in Ca. Oh and good to have you here Robert. What kind of cars do you like to build?

Hi Robert, I'm in Alameda as well! Get some discount coupons and check out the Michaels in Emeryville. They have a good stock of Revell kits that would get you started.

There's also a Hobby Town USA in Concord: 4525 Clayton Rd, Concord, CA 94521 that can get you set up with paint and supplies.

Those, plus the internet and some searching will get you all taken care of. Happy building!

you live in alameda, right by Oakland, right by Berkeley. on university avenue in Berkeley, right near where it dead ends into the university itself, on the north side of the street, is university ace hardware, and the basement is basically a hobby area with a large selection of normal and unusual auto, armor, aircraft, etc but particularly slot cars and 1/24 static cars. used to be more active around there but still a great place to visit, and a complete line of supplies both in the hobby area but also upstairs in the hardware area.

I think that DJ hobbies is still open in the south bay, that used to be well worthwhile too.

hobby lobby etc are fine for discounts but I still prefer the more or less mom and pop operations.

Michaels has a 50% off coupon valid till 21-Sep., it's only good for one item (I think once a day but not sure), so you have 2 or 3 days to maximize your savings.

It's free to sign up for the Michaels coupons or you can sometimes find them in local papers.